General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I think vibration in these new axles caused my ignition module to fail

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 06:34 AM
Default I think vibration in these new axles caused my ignition module to fail

I opened it up and one of the TINY little wires is broken.. Not sure if it is fixable because everything is covered in some clear slimy stuff (not sure if that is necessary for cooling or WHAT- but once you touch it, it's never the same again)

But it is pretty funny that the module failed, what, a week or so after these axles went in?

Well, yall were right about cheap axles. Sigh. One good thing (I guess) is that I have not been skipping third any more. The vibration is worst right before a shift point, so I have been driving easier and shifting more.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to cure the vibration without changing them again? I KNEW getting cheap ones would cost more in the long run.. but had no idea it'd be in the short run, here

What else is likely to fail due to the vibration????
And why are the "wires" so extremely tiny inside of the ignition module? I've never seen anything like that before.. that seems pretty damned stupid to me!!

Old 09-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I'm not aware of anything you can do to fix an axle that vibrates. I suspect (but don't know) that the rubber rings on the axles may suppress vibration. OEM and Raxles have them (AZ, ORiellys, etc don't). Only short term solution is what you're doing, take it easy.

Wires are tiny because they carry very small currents and there is limited space. These wires and insulation get brittle w/ age, heat, and oil. Usually shaft seals leak on older distributors leading to motor oil inside distributor. Make sure the drain opening is draining or oil will overwhelm and short distributor.

good luck

Old 09-02-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I'm not aware of anything you can do to fix an axle that vibrates. I suspect (but don't know) that the rubber rings on the axles may suppress vibration. OEM and Raxles have them (AZ, ORiellys, etc don't). Only short term solution is what you're doing, take it easy.

Wires are tiny because they carry very small currents and there is limited space. These wires and insulation get brittle w/ age, heat, and oil. Usually shaft seals leak on older distributors leading to motor oil inside distributor. Make sure the drain opening is draining or oil will overwhelm and short distributor.

good luck

I guess I was lucky because there wasn't any oil in the distributor at all.. I've read that these are prone to that, so I was not looking forward to looking under there

I know they don't have alot of room in there, but wow, it's just dead space and TINY TINY wires .. you would not believe how small they are. . 2x a human hair, maybe?