General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation caused by fuel leak, Cannot identify faulty part F22a6

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Default Hesitation caused by fuel leak, Cannot identify faulty part F22a6

I just got my 92 EX Sedan back on the road. I've been driving it daily for 3 days now. On the second day I noticed a hesitation/bobble on throttle, when accelerating from a dead stop. I looked around under the hood, and noticed this part was damp. I touched the fluid, sniffed and determined it was fuel. There seems to be no spraying, or pouring of fuel out of this part, but just enough to wet whatever part it is. I have attached pix of what I believe is my problem. It is the 'golden' colored piece right behind the fuel rail. I figure it has enough of an escape of fuel to allow injector pressures to lower and cause my hesitation. It is the size of a 17mm socket. If anyone can identify this part for me, and give some advice on how to remedy this, I would appreciate it. Thanks ahead of time.

Attached Thumbnails Hesitation caused by fuel leak, Cannot identify faulty part F22a6-full-pic.jpg   Hesitation caused by fuel leak, Cannot identify faulty part F22a6-close-up.jpg   Hesitation caused by fuel leak, Cannot identify faulty part F22a6-drivers-fender.jpg   Hesitation caused by fuel leak, Cannot identify faulty part F22a6-passenger-fender.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

That is the "banjo" fitting for the fuel rail. Could be loose, could be the sealing washers are "gone". Suggest getting new crush washers and see if that resolves the issue.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 AM

Thanks for your help. I tightened it, and it made the seepage, into a stream. So I figure the seal is gone, and needs replaced. I will just replace the entire bolt since new bolts come with the seal at the local parts place for $3. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

I've never worked on the fuel system, but I'm assuming that there won't be much fuel loss since the pump won't have power to provide pressure. Is there anything that I need to be particulary aware of when installing the new pieces? It almost seems too simple of a solution.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Can't rememer if the 4th gen's had the "service bolt" on the filter or not....sorry too lazy to look it up.

Let the car sit for some time before doing this. Yes there will be some fuel loss but if the washers are leaking...well the pressure will be gone.

Just like the brake hose connection on the caliper, there should be two washers. One below the head of the bolt and "on top" of the fitting, one below the fitting to the rail.....surprised you can get the bolt and both washers from a parts store for ~$3...but I've been out of the "parts game" for a few years.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 AM

Sounds good.
I was surpried it was even an available piece, let alone the price being so low. I'm going to grab one as soon as I get the chance. Hopefully early next week I will have good results to report.
Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Well that is what I get for going on memory....looks like there are three washers.... Sorry

#35 is some sort of spacer nut under the banjo bolt

Attached Thumbnails Hesitation caused by fuel leak, Cannot identify faulty part F22a6-4th-gen-fuel-line-rail-filter.jpg  
Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I found that all the parts stores in my area only carry 1.25 pitch banjo bolts and I believe that is a 1.0 pitch.

Either way all you need is the copper washers so just be careful with the new banjo bolt as if it is the wrong pitch you will damage the threads and that will be a much bigger problem.