General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 accord DX carb help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Default 88 accord DX carb help

hi my carb is running okay before it idles up to temp but as soon as it opens up and you push the throttle it kills itself I need help what could be causing this problem I thought maybe a vacuum problem so I put something to cover main air intake it dies like it should when its cold but when its fully open it wont react the same like an internal vacuum leak in the carb itself I dont know where to go from here someone please help

Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

well....I feel sorry for you as I guess you are left with me that is a joke

Need to ask a few questions, not trying to up set you, just need to know what to rule out.

Tune up items are up to date, including BOTH fuel filters.

Once the car is warm and dies, what is the fuel level in the bowl....there is a sight glass on the side.

Is the butterfly opening all the way when the car is warm?

Any recent work done to the car.....how long has this been an issue....how long have you had the car.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:06 AM

accelerator pump

Old 03-23-2012, 12:14 PM

ok well im not upset i understand all your questions both filters are clean and new (first thing I checked) butterfly does open all the way had car for almost a year now this problem has happened in the past it was the accelerator pump which was repaired and as far as i know there is fuel in the bowl which leads me to believe vacuum problems if any one has pictures of the carb in and out and a vacuum tree on file id love that and you can email it to me if not its fine (this is my first car and my old man with all his car knowledge is stumped be never worked on foreign vehicles which is why I turned to the internet) if you have any advice from the data I gave you id appreciate it thank you for your time and concern

Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Well there is a manual you can download, see the "common diy threads" sticky at the top of this section.

I see that at idle, when cold, you put your hand over the carb and it dies. Once warm it does not?

Are the tune up items up to date?