General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vibrations in steering & brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Vibrations in steering & brakes

Hi All:

I have a 1997 Accord LX 2.2L. Over the past year I've had the ball joints, rotors, wheel bearings replaced. I have replaced the rotors a couple of times thinking they were warped from Autozone. Still seems to vibrate when braking at high speeds (very noticeable on the highway). I thought maybe the wheel bearings weren't installed right, but it seems like that would occur more when I'm just driving, not only when braking. Also, started looking into the rack and pinion. I've noticed that when I'm making turns the steering wheel doesn't exactly go all the way back to straight after the turn, it will get to about 9'oclock or 3'oclock and needs some help the rest of the way. Also noticed when pumping the brakes at lower speeds the steering wheel will turn a little bit to the left each time the brake is applied. I checked my tie rods, and they don't seem to really have any play in them.
One thing to note, the bellows boot over the inner tie rod on the drivers side has been ripped open (obviously needs to be replaced).
Any input as to what is causing this? Thanks for your help!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

tire balance and wear been checked?

Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Tire wear is fine. Didn't check the balance, but wouldn't a balancing issue be noticed under normal driving?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Shaking only while braking really does point to the brake rotors.
Try doing this:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-rotors-27436/

But still the tire balance can be a valid question.
I once had a tire where the belts started separating, and it did funny things with shaking. If you think your rotors are OK, then rotate your tires around to see if the vibration moves to the rear. Come to think of it, do you think the vibration is at the front or rear?

Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Shaking only while braking really does point to the brake rotors.
Try doing this:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-rotors-27436/

But still the tire balance can be a valid question.
I once had a tire where the belts started separating, and it did funny things with shaking. If you think your rotors are OK, then rotate your tires around to see if the vibration moves to the rear. Come to think of it, do you think the vibration is at the front or rear?
Well I tend to lean away from the tire issue because the tires were on the car before any of these issues started. The issue came about after I had a shop replace a rotor. Both rotors have since been replaced. I looked at the rotors and they look like they are wearing evenly on both sides (if it was warped would I find an area on the rotor that looks different?). I'll try rotating the tires just to eliminate a potential problem. I believe the vibration is at the front. Thanks for the info!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Did you read that post? "Warped" rotors usually aren't really physically warped. It's uneven deposits of pad-material and you usually can see that as subtle variation in color or sheen on the rotor. Sometimes not very subtle.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:29 PM

vibration when braking:
1. rotors
2. tires
3. ball joints
4. wheel bearing/hub assembly

1. replace both new rotors and pads
2. balance and check tires for belts seperating and tire out of round. (with car in the air, turn the tire and see if the tire tread is steady or moves in and out. egg shaped)
3. wear in ball joints can cause harmonic vibration from braking dynamics at higher speeds. replace ball joints if excessive play diagnosised
4.Wheel bearing / hub assembly not running true. rare but possible