General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Accord-LX: steering wheel vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Default 2008 Accord-LX: steering wheel vibrations

I've got a 2008 Accord-LX. It is the regular 2.4L (?) engine with the 5-speed automatic. Something is wrong with it. When I accelerate from a dead stop, I can hear whop-whop noise coming from the front end, and the steering wheel vibrates badly. This happens up through roughly 45MPH, and then is no longer noticeable - UNLESS I go up a steep grade, then it is noticeable again.

The car first starting doing this on 2/1, after I hit some black ice and the traction control system came on. I "powered / accelerated" through it, and that is when the vibration started. I immediately took it to a Midas, and they checked the car out for me - including the wheel bearings. They didn't note anything out of the ordinary.

I hit another patch of black ice on 2/6, and again the traction control came on, and I "powered / accelerated" through it. Well, now the vibrations are roughly four times as bad as they were, previously... I drove with the window down on 2/8, and you can't really hear anything from the street level - outside of the engine spooling up.

I think I did something with the linkage / drivetrain, between the engine and the transmission. Thoughts?

Old 02-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

CV axles are a likely cause. You may be able to simulate by raising the front end on jack stands and accelerating wheels while observing CV axles. Quality cv axles (not rebuilt) are recommended.

I would also inspect front and rear motor mounts for faults to rule them out. Inspect w/ trusted helper holding the brake and pulsing the throttle while you observe from side for excessive movement of engine at mount and for mount damage.

good luck