General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VTEC not kicking in right

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by g22cd5
donno if this applys to v6s... when CEL pops vtec wont engauge...
I think for all engine, that's not true for EVERY & ALL codes. Some codes prevent VTEC, some don't.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
You don’t need the check engine light on to get the code as the computer stores them. As you were advised go to one of the parts stores that offers the service of retrieving the codes for free such as Autozone.
Chris is right on here, the computer stores them until there fixed..even if they clear the codes, they come back on...

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2010, 10:25 AM

so at one point this car had three computers, and to work with the piggy back they had to rerun the vtec system through a vtec controller, and the guy at the shop guesses it wasn't wired properly when it was put back to stock

Old 07-16-2010, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by hbright42591
I have a 2001 accord v6 coupe. When the car first gets up to operating temperature, everything works fine and the vtec engages instantly at 3.5k, but after a while of driving, when i need to accelerate the vtec doesn't come on and around 4k the engine sputters a little and then the vtec eventually works. when the sputtering occurs, the check engine light flashes and the code is for misfire, and is happening on all cylinders. Then engine also knocks and had a turbo before i had it, but has been returned to stock. Maybe a mod done to work with the turbo is still there and is messing something up? And since it's only after a while maybe a cooler thermostat would help? I have never heard anything else like this and am wondering if i need to have the engine rebuilt, the vtec solenoid replaced, or if i should just sell it to an older person who won't drive it like that anyway, because it drives perfectly fine under 3.5k. any opinions appreciated.
I have a 1999 Honda Accord Vtec I have Put hella money into mine and am Not Rebuilding My motor. Good Luck With your Honda

Old 07-24-2010, 03:09 PM

alright, had it checked and 8 codes. random misfire detected, misfire on cylinder 1-6, and P1259, which is VTEC system malfunction. since it works perfectly fine when first running, but starts to mess up when hot, i think it's the solenoid.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

I think the P1259 is for the oil pressure switch.

Check your oil level.

You should remove the connector to the pressure switch. With the car turned off, the two pins on the sensor should be a closed circuit (~zero resistance). With the car running, the two pins should read open circuit.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:49 PM

the oil level is right at the upper hole. i'm thinking it could also be the filter inside the vtec housing, the Hane's manual said the most common problems are the VTEC solenoid and it's filter. but i've read around the web about code P1259 and one guy's turned out to be a spun bearing causing low oil pressure which wasn't allowing the VTEC to kick in. my car makes a slight knocking sound, but i don't think it's because of a spun bearing being as how it only knocks when hot, and is barely audible.