General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vtec Synchronizing Pin and Timing Plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Default Vtec Synchronizing Pin and Timing Plate

Hello. I am working on a 2001 Accord 2.3 vtec which someone had apart before me. I got it with a blown head gasket, and presently reassembling. On the rocker rail, all 4 Timing Plates were broken. Also, one of the Synchro pins/piston was sitting inside the head, and two more I believe were inserted backwards. Was wondering if someone can confirm that I have the Pin and Spring going in the right way, (spring to the Left, pic A), vs (pic B which I believe is backwards). Also I would like to confirm that I have my new Timing Plates on the Correct side of the Retaining Tab, (pics C and D).

Thank you much !

Attached Thumbnails Vtec Synchronizing Pin and Timing Plate-.jpg   Vtec Synchronizing Pin and Timing Plate-b.jpg   Vtec Synchronizing Pin and Timing Plate-c.jpg   Vtec Synchronizing Pin and Timing Plate-d.jpg  

Last edited by hondaddy; 03-08-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Unless someone has experience to provide guidance, you may need to seek some help w/ Honda shop or some machine shops that specialize in head repair might help.

I checked honda shop manual, and these parts are shown as "intake rocker arm assembly" and no discussion of disassembly is provided.

I found a lot of images w/ google search for "honda vtec intake rocker arm". perhaps they may help.

If you don't have a shop manual, get a download manual from automanualsource.com.

good luck

Old 03-09-2014, 02:16 PM

Hey thanks. I had already even went to the Dealer Service Dept who allowed me to look in there shop manual. Nothing there. So far after 3 hours on the internet, no pics of that "particular" breakdown. I may just have to wait for someone who has one of these rocker rails off already who would be willing to carefully check how this is assembled, lol. Or as you suggested, go to a Machine shop who is familiar with Vtecs. Just surprised I can't find anything.

Thanks again !

Last edited by hondaddy; 03-09-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I remembered a detailed image of vtec arrangement from 1994-97 Accord Manual. It provides some details which appear to be similar/same as yours.

Go to Online Manuals post in DIY forum and download the 94-97 Accord manual. See Engine/Construction and Function (F22B1) section of manual for diagram. I tried to print a single image, but copy protection on PDF defeated me.

good luck

Old 03-09-2014, 05:20 PM

Youtube has some vtec head rebuilding videos.Might have to use key words like SOHC vtec rebuild.

Here is one I found.Not sure if it applies to your needs but worth a look.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

The info. is part of the 6th generation Accord service manual.

1. Based on the service manual, the rocker arm piston looks like it should be assembled like your picture B.

2. Timing plate appears on correct side.

Attached Thumbnails Vtec Synchronizing Pin and Timing Plate-rocker-arm-piston-timing-plate-reassembly.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 11:31 PM

Thank you all for the great info, especially to Redbull-1 for the pic. Going for reassembly with my Pic B and the above Service Manual pic. Will let you all know how it went, tomorrow.

Peace

Last edited by hondaddy; 03-14-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:28 PM

Update: Well, it appears I did the Rocker reassembly correctly, however I cannot fully test it yet because something else went terribly wrong. My head gasket did not seal correctly or I got something else screwed up, because the oil milkshaked within just a couple of minutes. I have done over a 100 Honda heads, but only a couple 2.3 vtecs. seems all pretty much the same to me, and my first ever failure like this. Oh well, can't win them all. Time to get back in there and see what the heck I did wrong.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:36 PM

Holy crap... I have been destroying myself over the propper assembley of the timing plate/spring and how it was screwing up my ability to gap the valves. I think this thread just saved my bacon (won't know until I get home...)