General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

vtech?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 08:17 PM
Administrator
Default RE: vtech?

people say that the "vtec kicks in" when the engine gets to the point that it makes that different sound...at its peak performance level..i know when i race my buddies S2000...at the line its even, then his exhaust pitch changes a bit, and the intake sounds a bit different, and he walks me...

Old 05-01-2005, 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Evlampius

yes i got the V-Tech phone too!!

you're talking about variable valve timing - i'm not sure you know exactly what it does or how it works

You'd be highly mistaken to think that...also variable valve timing is a general automotive term. Other companies have their own variations. Simply the ECU activates a high profile cam lobe based on the MAP, throttle position, and RPM. Those factors keep the gas mileage and low-end torque better until it crosses over and increases the valve lift to move more air at higher RPMs. Therefore heleping primarily the top end (hp), whereas the low lift cam helps with low rpm torque and drivability. These are grocery getters.

In relation to this guy not feeling his. It could be several factors why considering it activates based on what the ECU is reading. Hell for those with 6th Gens be wary VTEC doen't activate when you are low on fuel either. Not sure about earlier models. It's a way to save gas.

Old 05-01-2005, 02:09 PM

The Vtec Switch increases presure to lock the pins on the rocker arm to activate the intake valves to open

I got some nice pictures and discriptions but i guess you cant post it with this forum - says too big - also tried to link it - says cant link a picture -

but you're right on other models there are different variations with Variable timing - simply because some engines come V-type with 2 camshafts - but on Hondas it's Inline with SOHC

On my car you can hear the change in sound as it adds in torque - when you top it to accelerate at about 80 mph - but it doesnt give any particular boost/airjet/whatever feeling to the car - it just improves acceleration on high speeds.

Old 05-02-2005, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Evlampius

The Vtec Switch increases presure to lock the pins on the rocker arm to activate the intake valves to open

I got some nice pictures and discriptions but i guess you cant post it with this forum - says too big - also tried to link it - says cant link a picture -

but you're right on other models there are different variations with Variable timing - simply because some engines come V-type with 2 camshafts - but on Hondas it's Inline with SOHC

On my car you can hear the change in sound as it adds in torque - when you top it to accelerate at about 80 mph - but it doesnt give any particular boost/airjet/whatever feeling to the car - it just improves acceleration on high speeds.
Actually most of the other Honda models are DOHC...F22 (94-97 Accord), F23, J30 (98-02 Accord) are SOHC, but all the B-series engines and the H-series engines are DOHC.