General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Warped rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 AM
soliva
Unregistered
Default Warped rotors?

I just bought a 2005 LX for my son with 30K on it. The brakes shutter a little so I believe the rotors are warped. I am mechanically inclined and can replace them along with pads I am just curious if the OEM rotors can be turned, or if there is a good, inexpensive option to replace and what pads would be good.

I do not want to do this again but I don't want to spend alot either. Also is there anything I should know about performing the work...tricks or tips. What are the torque specs on the rotor and the caliper bolts.

Thanks.

Steven

Old 06-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Warped rotors?

Torque: Calipers should be tight, but not super tight, probably in the 40 lb. ft range. Rotors are held on by the lug nuts, so around 80 ft. lbs.

All rotors can be turned, but I don't think it will solve the warping issue. Replace them with OEM rotors this time and then tell your son he can pay for them next time if he wants to keep braking harder than necessary... if that's the case. I'm not trying to be a stickler, I'm 19 and it's sounds reasonable enough to me. The only way I've warped rotors is by slamming on the brakes too much or too long.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:17 AM

Get Brembo blanks .... they are better than OEM and cost about 40 bucks each.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:00 PM
wstefanko
Unregistered

Are you sure they are all warped? I just bought an 08 Accord(150 miles on it) and I had shuttering comming from the back of the car during breaking. I took it into the dealer and they said the rotors rusted from sitting on the lot. Thye turned the back rotors and all is well.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 PM

rotor warpage on newer accords is common, i doubt its due to misuse by your son. if it was an older accord, then thats a possibility, but like i said its a very common issue on newer accords.

also, I've heard good things about brembo blanks aswell. $40 apiece online + shipping is fairily cheap for new rotors considering the cost of reusing + turning your old rotors.

not so sure about brake pads though.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: wstefanko

Are you sure they are all warped? I just bought an 08 Accord(150 miles on it) and I had shuttering comming from the back of the car during breaking. I took it into the dealer and they said the rotors rusted from sitting on the lot. Thye turned the back rotors and all is well.
That was a convenient story. Next time you drive in the rain and park your car, take a look at the rotors. They will rust every time. The rust rubs off as you pull out of your driveway though. In this same situation, pull out with the radio off and windows open. Move slowly and brake as lightly as possible. You will be able to hear the rust getting cleared from the rotor.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:38 PM

yeah rust on rotors is a daily thing.. ain't no thang butta chicken ****...

wobbly breaking almost always equals warped rotors.. or at least some brake buildup (cheaper pads tend to stick to hot rotors).

from what i've read/heard, it's common on 7th gen and newer. every 30-50k needs a good machining.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:16 PM

When I finally got around to driving my wife's 99 Accord at high speed, the steering wheel shake was awful above 60 or so when you touched the brakes. She never told me about it! I considered taking the rotors off to be turned somewhere but frankly its not worth it. They may be too thin, etc. Just get new ones and a set of fresh pads. Alot easier, probably about the same price, and problem solved.

Jeff

Old 06-30-2008, 08:33 AM

If the steering wheel shake is when you are not braking, than a wheel or 2 is probably out of balance.