General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leaking Bottom of Door - Affecting Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:41 PM
AccordNation
Unregistered
Default Water Leaking Bottom of Door - Affecting Speaker

Hey all. Here's what I have:

1990 Accord LX

When it rains, the driver-side door at the very bottom becomes wet on the inside. The entire bottom of the door carpeting gets soaked, which bleeds into the speaker housing. If I run my hand along the very bottom of the door, the rubber stopper which I assume is there to stop water from leaking inside of the car is completely drenched, but it appears to be in fine condition otherwise.

I can not for the life of me figure out where the leak is coming from. At first I thought it may have been the door key cylinder which is partially missing/destroyed from a few vandals trying to pry the door open. But I have that well sealed now with some heavy duty tape, and it does not appear to be from that.

Any ideas? Of course, moisture is getting into the cab and it's all bad.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Water Leaking Bottom of Door - Affecting Speaker

Its normal for water to get inside the door. It mostly comes in atthe base of the window. There's supposed to be some plastic or something inside the door, to keep the water away from the speaker & upholstery. Then it drains out the bottom of the door, OUTSIDE of the weatherstripping.

My guess is the inner door panel has been removed & the plastic sheet/seal was not replaced properly.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM
AccordNation
Unregistered

thanks, very helpful to know. i just ran out and grabbed some pictures before i read your reply, and thought it may be helpful to post in any case:

Old 01-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Bottom of the door should have an open drain hole somewhere. I haven't seen this on my Accord but have on other brands. It's likely blocked w/ debris. Clean hole and bottom of door to fix problem.

good luck

Old 01-06-2009, 09:20 PM
AccordNation
Unregistered

weird, i've looked under there and didn't see any holes. would they be viewable on the metal itself? or behind the door paneling?

can anyone with a 1990 accord confirm?

i will double check again tomorrow.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Theyre along the very bottom of the door. In this picture,you can see2 little notches along the bottom of the inner framework of the door (the one piece of part 1/2 that doesnt have its own number).

Part 13/17 looks like the plastic sheet that keeps water out of the speakers & stuff. If thats no good, Ive often seen simple sheets of plastic (like from the hardware store) glued or taped in place & then trimmed to fit.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:02 AM
AccordNation
Unregistered

are you referring to these notches?

Old 01-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

On both of my Accords, the plastic sheet had hole cut for the speakers and didnt actually seal them from anything. At one point on my 95 I got so tired of the sheet I removed it completely and everything stayed dry for the most part.

Sounds to me like taking the door panel off is the next step to figuring out the mystery.