General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird idle on my 95 Accord Vtec automatic sedan please

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, something is "at the edge" of lock up....meaning the converter is locking (~2300) and then unlocking (~2500).

The throttle control cable is the cable going from the throttle body down to the trans- connects to a small lever on the trans. There is a section in the manual (you can download for free - see Common DIY Threads sticky at the top of this section) showing the movement and adjustment.

Please tell me you use Honda Trans fluid?????

Next, I'm still a bit worried with the ECT - It would be next on the testing list.

Attached Thumbnails weird idle on my 95 Accord Vtec automatic sedan please-5th-gen-throttle-control-cable.jpg  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Ok, something is "at the edge" of lock up....meaning the converter is locking (~2300) and then unlocking (~2500).

The throttle control cable is the cable going from the throttle body down to the trans- connects to a small lever on the trans. There is a section in the manual (you can download for free - see Common DIY Threads sticky at the top of this section) showing the movement and adjustment.

Please tell me you use Honda Trans fluid?????

Next, I'm still a bit worried with the ECT - It would be next on the testing list.
I am gonna check very well the throtle cable, even though it looks good to me it might be something wrong with it, gonna see the manual very well to see how it should be proper positioned.
-About the transmission fluid, dont worry, i did put Honda Fluid on it

Old 03-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

-I adjusted the throttle cable, problem seems to be gone lol
-Throttle level position seems to be in great conditions.
-I had to put the Locknut B down a lot, so i am kind of skeptical about it since i have no idea if this is normal to go far down.
-Before adjusting, the level was a little bit behind the rpms, like it was not synchronized. I put the Locknut down till the level moves a little bit before you can hear the rpms. Is this right?
-Oh well, right or not, the transmission shift great, and the issue is gone, i tested the car several times, perfect running.
-I have the manual, i read about how to do it, but i did not understand it, so i had to try it by myself. Could you provide me a link, or a video, or pictures of how is this cable supposed to go? Sorry if i am asking to much, but i want it do it right, may be it is, but i dont know. Or could you just explain to me how it is supposed to be done?
Thanks man, i apreciate your help

Old 03-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

This is the fun of a car that is 15 plus years old....don't have any idea of what has gone on over the years.

In the pic I posted, there are some "clamp" points along the cable that hold it in place. From there, it sounds like you have it adjusted properly.

Throttle closed, the lever on the trans should be all the way "down" - from under the hood you are pushing towards the ground.....sometimes I will un-do the cable from the tb to be sure.

Then just as the the throttle moves, the cable to the trans should start to move.

Again, sound like you have it correct....if nothing else it also seems to stay in "lock up" now

Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah, I gor right haha...and the lock up stays and engage like new, if that make sense lol....I fixed yesterday the leak I had on the distributor, o ring and seal. No more leaks, happy now, car like new. Yes this post is closed, problem solved

Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

I like a story that ends well