General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 04:19 PM
lovemycar
Unregistered
Default weird sound

Hi.
About 2 weeks ago I started hearing “tump” sounds every time I accelerate hard.
Is gotten worse ever since and it happens even on mild acceleration and bumps on road.
I did some testing to try and pinpoint the source by going over an obstacle with each wheel but no luck.
I also jumped in/on the car, shook it, rolled it, break torqued it and even took all 4 wheels off but could not find anything wrong with the suspension.
My second suspect was the engine mounts but I checked them today and they seem to be fine.

Car is 05 V6 Accord a/t Coupe

The sound can be described as a metal on metal intermittent rubbing “tump tump” and the more you accelerate the more “tumps” you get. It also happens over bumps but only at low speeds.

Anyone experience anything like this or have ANY ideas pleas feel free to pitch in. Thank you, and forgive me if the explanation is not the best, I’m am extremely frustrated right now.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: weird sound

How about engine mounts?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:33 PM

Whatever it is it sounds like there is slack in some connection that could be tight. Have you checked out the cv axles. You shouldn't have a problem with them but you can't rule it out. I would check out the suspension and I'm pretty sure honda still uses a radius arm to keep the wheel from moving forward and backward, so it might be a good idea to check these.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 PM
lovemycar
Unregistered

I’ve checked the CV joints but i haven't ruled out the radius arm yet. However I got an even bigger problem that may or may not be related to this thread. This morning I was on my way to school and was getting up to 50kmh. I noticed the transmission jerked when shifting from 1st to second and once in second it hesitated to go into third. It would disengage second and intermittently engage/disengage third which almost cased me to get rear ended. I then slowed down to let the traffic pass and as I was slowing down I felt a huge jolt as if i slammed on the brakes. After turning the car on again everything was back to normal except the original sound gotten worse. I think its time I see a mechanic with this.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:58 PM

im having similar symptoms as this what did it end up being?