General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can you tell me about the 2004 Honda Accord Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Default What can you tell me about the 2004 Honda Accord Coupe?

I'll be buying one at the end of August/early September, and I want to know if there's anything in particular that I should look out for.

How are these cars, generally speaking? Are they good? From what I understand they have pretty good fuel consumption and they're reliable cars. Is this a fair assessment?

I haven't decided if I will go with the 4/6 cylinder. Besides the speed/fuel consumption angle, is there any inherent advantage/disadvantage over the other? I'm also leaning towards automatic since I don't know how to drive standard, but if the right deal comes around and it's standard, I'd be willing to consider it. Is automatic or manual better in these cars, or is there no advantage/disadvantage?

I'm in the $6000-$7000 price range. Based on what I've seen on the market for the past few months, I should be able to get an '04 with approx. 125-140k Kilometres on it.

I'm a car noob, but I'm willing to learn. Help a brother out!

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Old 08-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Me, they are pretty solid cars.

For the 4 vs 6, well that is going to be up to you. If you go for the 6, just know that those have a timing belt that should be changed every 7 years or 100K miles. So if you get the 6, try to find out if and when the belt was last changed.

Auto vs manual - well the auto has more parts/pieces so IMO there is more things that "can" go wrong - don't take this the wrong way, there are not any "known issues" with the auto trans in this gen. Again if you get an auto, keep up with the fluid changes. This also applies to the manual trans but more so in the auto since it is the "life blood" that makes the auto trans work.

Just a few things to think about......good luck and let us know if we can help in anyway.

PS- Thanks for joining

Old 08-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

For anyone, neophyte or experienced, purchasing a used car should always include a good inspection performed by a reputable service or shop. I have some expertise, but always do this because it inevitably discovers things I missed during my inspection and drive. These issues can be used to adjust the price to cover repairs or faults. A good service will prevent a "disaster" purchase where some major flaw (trans problem, body problem, etc) has been hidden.

A CarFax or similar history report is also essential.

I had a 2007 Accord 4-cyl. which I liked very much. Unfortunately, my daughter totaled in an minor but damaging accident to vehicle.

I would drive and be sure you are happy w/ ambient noise level. It does get a little noisy for some, but I was OK w/ noise level.

good luck

Old 08-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

In the U.S., there was a recall on certain 2004 Accord V6 with automatics to inspect and install an oil jet kit.

Honda TSB 04-037

Old 08-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Default Watch the automatic trans

I had an 03, and my daughter had an 04 V6 Accord coupe. Those model years had bad automatic transmissions, I mean baddd. Mine was recalled for the oil jet mentioned above. Didn't help. Tranny went out at 65k miles. I was on the third transmission when I sold it. My daughter's lasted until 150k. I would not buy one with an automatic transmission PERIOD. Google Honda Accord transmission problems. It ain't pretty. The tranny overheats, cooking the fluid.
Having said that, everything else on both cars was superb. But unless you have $3-4k available, don't get the automatic.

Last edited by skipbroussard; 08-07-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

the auto trans problems are mostly related to the V6 engines.