General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Question What else can I do?

98 Honda Accord EX, 4cyl,AT

My honda is idling erratically 1000 to 2000 rpm no CEL
I did clean the IAC-valve,washed the TB,changed the TB gasket,bled the coolant valve,sprayed carb cleaner everywere to check for vacuumleak. When starting the cold engine it idles very high and when it warms up it starts to run erratically. When trying to adjust at the idle screw there is no change in the idle speed.. When unplugging the IAC plug it keeps idling erratic but lower and when I cover the hole in the throttle body with my finger only then it idles normally.

Can someone please tell me what else to do?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:59 PM

The problem is not the idle screw. Don't mess with it anymore.

So you replaced the TB gasket huh? It sounds like you have an intake manifold leak / vacuum leak.

When it goes from 1k to 2k does it rev up then drop then rev up over and over again? That is classic Vacuum leak symptoms.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:18 AM

That is exactly what it does. Can you explain to me where else to check for vacuum leak? It started to do this after changing the headgasket. Can you detect a leak on the intake manifold by spraying carb cleaner on it?

Last edited by pani; 11-30-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Almost A Senior Member

My car does the same thing if I let it sit for acouple days then run it. It stops thou after running it for a day. Also check your fast idle valve. They need screwed in from time to time. Depending on what year your accord is. There is acouple threads in the DIY section about it

Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by pani
Can you detect a leak on the intake manifold by spraying carb cleaner on it?
Yes,

the revving is not caused by the head gasket. It is a breach in the intake manifolds ability to hold vacuum

Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Silver6gen
Yes,

the revving is not caused by the head gasket. It is a breach in the intake manifolds ability to hold vacuum
It has been a long time ago. I had to travel for my work and now I am back on it. I have talked to a friend about the problem of the up and down idling of my honda when it warms up and I also told him that i took the AIC-valve apart to wash it. He told me that that might be the problem and that I was wrong in loosing the plastic part (spool) from the metal part to clean it. He said to me that there is a way to adjust it but he doesn't know how to do it. Is there someone who can explain me how to adjust it back the way it must be?

Old 12-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pani
It has been a long time ago. I had to travel for my work and now I am back on it. I have talked to a friend about the problem of the up and down idling of my honda when it warms up and I also told him that i took the AIC-valve apart to wash it. He told me that that might be the problem and that I was wrong in loosing the plastic part (spool) from the metal part to clean it. He said to me that there is a way to adjust it but he doesn't know how to do it. Is there someone who can explain me how to adjust it back the way it must be?
Just me but if the plunger/stopper is missing then you are looking for a new/used IAC.....Got pic's of the piece that was lost, just want to be sure we are talking the same thing.