General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is this leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Default what is this leak?

Hi,

I have numerous leaks under my car, but one in particular I am unsure of. It is a 92 Accord, manual transmission. The last time I had a similar leak, Honda said my tranny was leaking, they repaired (a seal maybe?) and replaced the fluid. Now I have a leak near the front of the car, drivers side, but a short distance behind my coolant leak (I have a rad leak also). The leak is further forward towards the front of the car and seems to be a reddish or brownish color (I placed white cardboard down).

I took to Honda and they said it appeared as if my power steering fluid came up and spilled from the top of the reservoir (???). They topped it up and said the extreme cold may have been a cause, or perhaps I cranked the wheels hard in the very cold.

Anyways, it is back home now and still with the reddish/brownish leak. Does that colour and location sound like power steering fluid leak?

Thanks!!!

Old 02-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: what is this leak?

PS pump is on drivers side forward of engine c/l. It could be source of leak. Oil is usually dark brown, not red. Check PS pump and hoses for leaks. Its readily accessbile.

good luck

Old 02-02-2008, 06:37 PM

Thanks very much!!! That seems the be the colour and location....

Old 02-02-2008, 06:37 PM

I know that on my 87, the Power steering is at the front of the motor (driver side of engine bay) and close to the front of the car.

If it looks like moroon color, that would be ATF/Powersteering fluid, and since you have a Manuel tranny which uses oil and not ATF, it must be your Power Steering.

Check it constantly and if it persists to leak afterwhat you can guess is 3 ounces, then I would say it is a line leak. If you overfill it, it may want to spit out the access.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:21 PM

Honda power steering fluid is pretty much colorless. Although it could turn brown with age I suppose. If you PS fluid gets low you would likely know it because your PS pump would be whining when you turn the steering wheel. I guess you can just wait and see which fluid gets low and that could be your answer.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Honda PS fluid is brown/amber, but I've seen some aftermarket fluid labeled "FOR HONDA" that's sorta purple or reddish color. Or some misguided mechanic may have put ATF into the power steering system (bad).