General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to use to lubricate weatherstripping?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default What to use to lubricate weatherstripping?

So I want to get pre-emptive on weatherstripping. Anyone here know if Honda recommends certain things for weatherstripping?

I've done a bit of research and I know petroleum based greases or lubricants are off consideration since they can swell rubber. So I'm thinking some kind of rubber-safe silicone grease like AGS Sil-Glyde would be perfect since it's designed not to swell rubber on places like the rubber boot on a caliper slide pin. I figure I'll buy those packets of those at the local AutoZone, smear them on a q-tip and leave a thin non-visible layer inside the run channels so the windows go up smoothly without attracting any kind of dirt or gumming anything up. I plan on running a dry Q-tip up and down the channels to spread/stretch that tiny bit of silicone paste as thin as possible. The goal being not to leave globs of it, but just wet the run channels with the grease so it stays moist.

Then I'll do the same thing on the thick rubber that seals the doors where you open/close them.

Anyone tried this before and thinks this is a bad idea?

Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I used silicone faucet grease from Home Depot/Lowe's. About three bucks for a small plastic tin, enough to do four doors. IMHO the important thing is cleaning out the dirt from the channels with soap and water and an old toothbrush first and letting it dry out before applying the silicone grease. You'll be amazed at how much black crap comes off of them. A year and a half later my windows are still going up and down fairly fast.