General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats leaking??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Default whats leaking??

I have a 02 rhd accord and am having timing belts and water pump/seals done on Sat, also gearbox oil.
I just made sure the filler/drainer are pentrated with fluid and can see a thin film of oil all over engine brace, wishbone and drivers floorpan area. not dripping, just a film. not dripping on ground and fluids seem to be stable. PSF dropped a bit but only 50ml in 2000miles. Any ideas would be gratefully received (not too expensive please)
The oil seems very light dont I think it is engine oil.
The boots around the drive shafts and the steering arms seem dry but i cant get right under the car to have a close look.
Anyone had this before?
I intend to degrease before it goes to Honda just in case they find a whole heap of trouble.

Thanks

Old 11-25-2011, 03:39 AM
Default Whats leaking?

Just been to Bristol Honda for a service and they confirmed possible rack leak along with a few split boots and a ball joint gaiter split.
Costs? not bad for boots/gaiters fitted - but rack, whoa. BUT, technician did say they would be prepared to fit a recon unit or aftermarket one - this surprised me, he told me how much a new honda one cost (nearly more than i paid for the car) but then said they would have no worries either reconditioning mine or fitting alternative. I was ready for the old hard sell tactic, but seeing as the MOT is in March, he said keep an eye on PSF over winter - so obviously its not unroadworthy.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by madadam
rack leak
he said keep an eye on PSF over winter - so obviously its not unroadworthy.
yeah, son has a 1986 Prelude with same power steering fluid leak.
it seems the cost to replace was expensive.

Son's solution is to keep a bottle of PSF in trunk and check it monthly - and to keep a drip pan under the car at home.
has driven it 3 years so far.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Occasionally, PS leak sealant (Lucas in particular) will cause rack end seal leaks to stop. Meanwhile PS fluids is cheap, so unless UK motor permit rules don't allow leaks, living w/ the leak will be the low cost solution.

good luck