General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

whats wrong with the engine??

Old 08-16-2007, 12:09 AM
tinytoon
Unregistered
Default whats wrong with the engine??

i have a 92 accord ex auto. it will not start on its own and will be required to be jumped started every time the engines cut. once you jump the engine and it runs, you turn on the head lights and boom, the engine dies. i installed brand new fully charge battery with brand new altenator and it turns over once on its own but still dies when headlights get turn on. after when engine dies, it wont turn over anymore besides getting jump started again. can it be a ground wire loose?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: whats wrong with the engine??

interesting never heard of this 1 before...
any mods in the car?? try this, start the car, , unplug both headlites at the lense assemblies , turn the headlites on and see if it still kills the engine ,
also chk below the battery tray,, where the ground wire gets bolted to, make sure it is clean and tight , no corrosion,

Old 08-16-2007, 05:23 PM

Get a heavy (10 ga or so) wire and run it between the engine and the body (fender, etc.).
Sounds like you could have a missing ground. When you turn on your headlights, it probably is floating the chassis enough to cause other things to fail.
You can't hurt anything with an extra ground wire. I don't remember where the battery (-) gets tied to ground. Maybe near the battery?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:37 PM

My bat was grounded to the bottom of the block and the front frame brace/bulkhead thing. I bought a grounding kit and it was worth it....especially with the subs.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:05 PM

Just checked mine earlier and there's a heavy (#4?) wire from the battery (-) terminal right to the fender very close to it. The whole stub is probably less than 8" long.
Make sure the wire is there, and make sure the connection is good. If anything, loosen wiggle and retighten any hardware at either end. There should be a star washer at the fender connection, between the terminal and the sheet metal. Scrape anything that looks rusty so you see bare metal.
If you have access to a voltmeter, measure the voltage between battery minus and all fenders, firewall, etc. ALL should be very close to ZERO volts, engine running.
Please post what you find, please. It'll help the rest of us later...

Old 08-17-2007, 07:25 AM

Could also be a short, possibly in the headlight relays.