General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wheel Bearing issue or brakes

Old 03-03-2016, 08:55 PM
Default Wheel Bearing issue or brakes

Good evening all - I need your assistance.

I have an 06 Accord EX-L. As of late, when I am driving, I am hearing a grinding sound coming from the back left tire.
Could this be a brake issue? I had the car in a shop last week and I mentioned this and they said everything looks ok.

A friend suggested the wheel bearings could be going.
If that is the case my questions are:
1. How much roughly to repair replace?
2. Is the sound any indication of how bad it is or isn't. The sound I am getting is intermittent and sometimes it does sound worse than other times?
3. Am I living on borrowed time if I continue to drive it without repairing. The only reason I am asking Question #3 is I am selling a rental property, and as soon as it is sold, I plan on getting rid of the car. I don't want to put a lot of $$$ into the car only to turn around and get rid of it.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thank you.
Dave

Old 03-03-2016, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds are tough to diagnose over the web.

I'd suggest servicing the brakes where you lubricate the slide pins with silicone paste and make sure the brake pads can slide in the caliper bracket. Its pretty simple to do yourself. Plus you can spin the rear hub to get a feel of any roughness in how it spins compared to the other side.

The rear bearing is part of the hub, so you would buy it as a unit. The part will cost $100-$200 depending if you buy aftermarket vs OEM. Labor costs vary, so you'd need to get a quote.