General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Pat88
Unregistered
Default wheel bearing replacement

Hi,

How complicated is it to replace the wheel bearings?and how do i even begin takin on this project?I geta vibration throughout the entire car and have already had the axles replaced(mechanic said they were faulty), and the front rims replaced (bent), and its still the same. A local mechanic thnks its the rear engine mount, but i dont think its that because it shakes the same whether its in neutral coasting to a stop, or havin it on cruise.Tires are all practically new, and have been balanced along with an alignment. The vibration occurs at any given speed, but is most noticeable while turning left....and under acceleration. The harder i accelerate, the worse it becomes. any ideas? Got this car 2 months ago and its become a money pit, only problem left that im aware of is this vibration and the annoying low idle with the AC on...
Thanks in advance

Pat

Old 10-14-2007, 02:48 AM
Default RE: wheel bearing replacement

wheel bearings are not complicated to replace,you would most likely need some kinda tool like a press or a table vise to knock out the old bearings off the shaft,i suggest since your going to replace your wheel bearings you should check your cv boots if needed, replace both inner and outer please also be aware it could be your cv shaft,i have the same problem on my 95 lx,i checked my bearing but they are okay,i had replaced the cv boots both inner and outer.i want to get the aligment done but i dont want to spend $ if the aligment is not the problem,i guess if you had gotten rid of your problem please reply back and let me know what you had done----THANKS

Old 10-17-2007, 05:11 AM
Default RE: wheel bearing replacement

i guess that you did not have a fast reply on your first posting regarding you wheel bearing you must have given up,but i will just post this today regarding the wheel bearing----well today i have taken out my wheel bearing to get rid of that annoying humming sound and it worked out well the sound is lone gone,after taken out the wheel hub that holds the bearing.i took the hub to my nearest machine shop with the new wheel bearing and requested for a push out push in work on the new bearing,payed only $35 but maybe you could do better getting it cheaper...by the way i am not really good in mechanic but i did alright...best of luck and hey check back on the forum once in a while---dont give up!