General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Where's the Moron Racers Section?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Default Where's the Moron Racers Section?

Didnt know where to post this (here seems somewhat logical) but since I have your attention...

The local Jimmy Johns ricer and so e other guy rolled up to the light of the three lane road. The JJ kid was in a 98' Civi and the other guy in a 240, dunno the year because I dont follow them. I smashed it and we all took off. I'm happy to say Ismacked them both off the line in my flashy looking stock as hell 04' Accord. However, I took off faster than even I was ready for but didnt realize it until the car suddenly slowed down at which I assume was the 6800 rpm mark and hopefully the rev limiter telling me how much of a buster I just became. For the record, I jumped hard enough for them both to back off long before I missed the shift. Funny stuff, but; it got me a bit concerned. I have never hit the limiter in that car before and i doubt the previous owners ever did either. Which brings me to my question:

Are Honda engineers genius enough to have protected the motor from Morons like me? Should I be looking for signs of throwing a bearing be it cam or crank? Can I feel comfortable with it being a lesson and just not go there again? I know I will be purchasing a shift light! I can tell you that much. I finally understand why their there...

Old 09-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Default Since I am newer here and plan to be a mainstay

Originally Posted by Incognitjo
Should I be looking for signs of throwing a bearing be it cam or crank?
I am schooled enough to know what these being trashed feel and sound like, but my experiences have been with Muscle cars which are more like performance tractors than they are precision engineered instruments of speed. I dont know enough about honda motors to know if I should be worried.

Last edited by Incognitjo; 09-01-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:37 PM

I'm sure rev limiters are there, just for things like that. Just don't downshift into second at 70mph and you should be fine. The rev limiter can't get you out of that mistake.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Default Wurd...

Originally Posted by EXV6NIGHTHAWK
I'm sure rev limiters are there, just for things like that. Just don't downshift into second at 70mph and you should be fine. The rev limiter can't get you out of that mistake.
I hope you're right about that Nighthawk.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Hey, I like my old tractor