General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Whining noise driving me crazy still!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I found a video that has the almost the same noise as mine when revving an engine

Power steering pump needs replacement perhaps?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The only place the pressure inside a hose is less that atmospherice is between the reservoir and PS pump suction inlet. There is a pressure drop from the reservoir (ambient) across the reservoir screen and at all points along the hose, fitting into the PS pump. Air could enter at any point from reservoir to PS pump where there is a leak.

Other hoses (rack-reservoir and PS pump-rack) have positive internal pressure. A leak in these results in fluid leaking out, not air leaking in.

good luck

Old 09-08-2012, 09:42 AM

Name:  TetMU.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  28.6 KB

I see a lot of black stuff down there. I would check the connection on that hose, and the hose itself.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

checked the hoses and connections, all in good shape and snug.

I have also used the screwdriver noise test to isolate where that noise is coming from(only the idle noises) and the ps pump i think sounds normal, I don't know what normal sounds like, but like a steady stream of liquid.

But when I tested the alternator, it definitely sounds the idle whining noise.
Should I have someone rev the engine and turn the wheel side to side while I test for noises again?

Last edited by kevin1517; 09-08-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 PM

If you are getting air bubbles in the power steering fluid, the air is getting in somewhere. I don't think the alternator has anything to do with this noise.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

It's a V-6, so I don't remember the arrangement of belts. Can you remove the PS belt while leaving the alternator belt on? Then you'll know where the noise is coming from. But regardless of the source of the sound, you still have the air bubbles in the PS fluid...?

Old 09-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
It's a V-6, so I don't remember the arrangement of belts. Can you remove the PS belt while leaving the alternator belt on? Then you'll know where the noise is coming from. But regardless of the source of the sound, you still have the air bubbles in the PS fluid...?
I'm afraid I'm not skilled enough to remove the belt.

I tested with a screwdriver again while someone revved the engine, and the high pitch is definitely coming from the ps pump. Alternator is fine.

Yes, there are still bubbles in the PS fluid only after a drive, but its not major - no overflows, just some, not a lot

I emailed scottyklimer, a popular youtube car mechanic, the video of my problem, and he said that

"honda pumps are crap, you really need to replace the whole pump to
stop it, and have to use a quality new one, the rebuilt ones often
whine. But, the whining hurts nothing, turn up the stereo"

Old 10-22-2012, 07:07 AM

You've got to listen with a stethescope or something similar to determine where the whine is coming from. The noise is obvious when you're listening to the right component. Just be REAL careful. That belt will catch just about anything and do some damage (to your car, and maybe your face). I ended up using a extra long tin funnel. (like what you fill your oil with). My whine ended up coming from the lower tensioner pulley. I just replaced the whole tensioner assembly ~$70 @ Bennett. Fixed!