General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Am I Hard Starting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Default RE: Why Am I Hard Starting?

1994 Accord EX

Old 12-01-2006, 06:33 PM

All right, I checked out the CEL problem. Here's the code I get:

9 Short Blinks
Pause
1 Long Blink
Pause
2 Short Blinks
Pause
1 Long Blink
Pause
1 Long Blink
Pause
2 Short Blinks
Pause
9 Short Blinks (Repeats From Here)

I wouldn't have expected the two consecutive long blinks. I thought all CEL codes were two digits. Isn't that odd? Sure enough, though, that's the pattern: 9S-1L-2S-1L-1L-2S-9S (or 9-12-112-9, if you want to look at it that way). Seems weird to me.

If anyone can help with this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Jon

Old 12-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: JohnnyWadd

9 Short Blinks
Pause
1 Long Blink
Pause
2 Short Blinks
Pause
1 Long Blink
Pause
1 Long Blink
Pause
2 Short Blinks
Pause

I wouldn't have expected the two consecutive long blinks. I thought all CEL codes were two digits. Isn't that odd? Sure enough, though, that's the pattern: 9S-1L-2S-1L-1L-2S-9S (or 9-12-112-9, if you want to look at it that way). Seems weird to me.

Thanks
Jon

sounds like you could bave code 1 O2 sensor or Ho2 sensor

code 9 ..........# 1 cylinder position sensor
code 12 ...........egr system

Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: JohnnyWadd

9 Short Blinks
Pause
1 Long Blink
Pause
2 Short Blinks
Pause
1 Long Blink
Pause
1 Long Blink
Pause
2 Short Blinks
Pause

Thanks
Jon
There's short pauses between digits & long pauses before a new code. How's this... (I'm kinda guessing where the long pauses are.)

9 Short Blinks
Long(?) Pause
Code 9 (CYP sensor)

1 Long Blink
Pause
2 Short Blinks
Long(?) Pause
Code 12 (EGR)

1 Long Blink
Long(?) Pause
Code 10 (IAT sensor)

1 Long Blink
Pause
2 Short Blinks
Long(?) Pause
Code 12 (EGR again)

Code 9 (CYP sensor again)

Old 12-04-2006, 11:31 AM

Jim,, you are correct,, i mis interpeted the 1 long blink and jumped the gun......1 long blink is a 10. not a 1 .......
thanks for noticing it

Old 12-06-2006, 06:29 PM

It was suggested to me that I disconnent my battery, then wait for the CEL to come on again, since I was getting such a scatter-brained response from my car. I took the advice, and thus far, the 12 and the 22 code have not returned. That made sense, as I forgot about something. Right after I got the car running, I took it for a test drive, and one of the vacuum lines popped off. I hooked it back up, then it decided to come off again. Turns out the speaker from my alarm was rattling against it and making it come loose. So, I moved the speaker and those two codes have not returned.

So, when the CEL came on and I crossed the plug, the only code it is showing now is a 9, which is the #1 Cylinder Position Sensor (CYP). Can't lie to you guys. I don't know anything about this one. Can anybody lend any help? First off, where in the heck is it located? I'll check the plug and all that, but does anybody have any idea how to check this sensor?

I thank you in advance for any help that you can give.
Jon

Old 12-07-2006, 08:38 PM

code 9 is normally internal distributor problem...,,,

chk to make sure the connections to distributor are ok,, no loose or broken wiring

Old 12-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Good idea to reset then see what comes back. I wish I'd remembered to tell you that...

CYP sensor is located in the distributor. You can check for loose connections in the wiring harness plug at the distributor. I don't have wiring drawing for your year, so I don't know which wire.

The CYP sensor is not available separately (AFAIK) - you have to buy a new distributor. So try to rule out simple wiring problems first.

You can measure it's resistance but I don't remember what it should read. If resistance is OK, the sensor may still be bad. It's a magnetoresistive sensor where the only true complete test is to watch it's signal with an oscilloscope.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:44 AM

Hey, everybody. I'm sorry that I fell off of the map. I ran into a huge expenditure on the girlfriends car, so I decided to move my problems to the back burner. The car is running okay, so I haven't really been that worried about it. Not sure if that's a stupid idea on my part or what.

Anyway, let me give you a quick update before I go. I did disconnect the battery to reset the ECU and waited for the CEL to kick on again. This time I only got the code 9 (the CYP sensor for cylinder 1 at TDC). I rechecked a while later and still only the 9 code. The others must have appeared when the vacuum line popped off. I've had no more vacuum line problems and the other codes have not returned.

As I said before, the problem only shows up every once in a while (curiously, only when I'm iding and usually at a stoplight in gear, never at highway speeds). It doesn't make the car run worse, near as I can tell, so I haven't been overly worried about it. It'll idle down for a sec, the CEL will pop on, then the idle will return to normal. I tried to find something on the distributor disconnected, but couldn't find anything. I'm going to try to look into it a little more when I get my other stuff fixed, and also when the weather starts to cooperate a little bit more.

Thanks for your input.
Jon

P.S. Ever since winter set in here in Nebraska, I'm really glad I replaced that head gasket. None of the problems have come back and the car is running tip top. I thank you all for help with the diagnosis. I'd be miserable this winter if I hadn't fixed that.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:19 PM

so I skipped over some of the thread that may have already answered these questions but I'd make sure that you have NGK spark plugs and good wires/cap/rotor if you haven't already to ensure consistent spark.... when looking at the wiring in/on the distributor make sure all of the little wires are pushed in/making good contact (you might consider cleaning them if need be)...