General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife's 1999 Accord stalls for no apparent reason

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Default Wife's 1999 Accord stalls for no apparent reason

My wife and I were driving he 1999 Accord the past two days and it has stalled out on us, for no apparent reason, 3 times.
  • First time we were parked, I ran into a store and when I came out and put the car in reverse it stalled. I turned the key to re-start the car and it immediately stalled out again. This happened one more time and then, on the third try, it started and ran just fine.
  • The next time we were driving along, around 35 mph, when the car suddenly died. Same thing, I tried to re-start the car a few times and each time it would immediately stall. After the third try it fired up and ran fine.
  • The last time we were driving down a side street, around 25 mph, when the car konked out. Same re-start procedure and it started after the third try.
The battery is relatively new and my wife is excellent about making sure all services are up to date on the car.
I am afraid that this may happen to her when she's driving to work on the Parkway at 75 mph.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Has any work been done on the car recently? I know you said that the car is maintained properly, but find out how many miles are on the spark plugs.

There are a few simple things you can try.

Disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery terminals using a wire brush or some sand paper. Make sure you tighten down the terminals using a 10mm socket to ensure they aren't loose.

When the car is running, try shaking the key to see if the car will stall out.

Here is one other simple thing to try: Turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. When the check engine light turns on for the bulb check, the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds. It is faint buzzing/whirling sound from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc.. and listen carefully. When the car will not start, let us know if the sound of the fuel pump is present.

You might want to stop by an autoparts store and have them check for engine codes just to be thorough.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

It may be an ignition switch problem, which was a relatively common problem on some Accords. See this link:

http://www.driveaccord.net/PDF/ignition_switch.pdf