General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will not start/black exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:37 AM
BDN54
Unregistered
Default Will not start/black exhaust

My daughter's '85 Accord w/carb. will not start. It was running fine, she came home, then tried to start it later; it sounds like it's running on 1 cyl. w/dark exhaust. It seems like it's flooded, but the choke is open and seems to be working OK.[:'(] Maybe electrical? It was warm here yesterday, she drove all day in the heatand she filled up at an ARCO station (they recently put in new pumps and tanks, so water should not be an issue).
THANX for any help!!!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Will not start/black exhaust

check the sight glass on the drivers side of the carb. fuel level should be visable. The carb floats were made by the SS Titanic corp. LOL
If you can get it to idle at all, look down the carb throat and see if raw gas is dumping. Also I've seen the main jets[in the bottom of the fuel bowl] back out and let raw gas dump.

WOW What a Flashback [sm=happy046.gif]

Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 PM
BDN54
Unregistered

I can see fuel in the sight windows, and there was fuel squirting from accelerator jets.It seems if there is enough fuel to do this, it should at least fire.This one has me stumped, as I checked electrical, there seemed to be a spark, how hot I don't know. I put on a different coil, no luck.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

it's not a matter of 'enough' fuel; more like a matter of TOO MUCH if you are blowing out black exhaust

Old 07-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I agree with dude,, sounds like engine is flooding .. too much fuel..
if you have the air cleaner off, look in the carb and see if there is any fuel ..also you said they put a new pumps ( fuel pump? ) did this start after the new pump ??wrong pump ? too much pressure from pump ??
also pull the top of the carb off and chk to see if the main jet popped out like Dude .suggested in earlier post, i have seen that as well

a few times i have seen a bad TW sensor that makes engine run too rich