General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

window goes up crooked....need help

Old 06-26-2007, 05:15 PM
jam
Newest Of Newbies
Default window goes up crooked....need help

My neighbour had this problem and we also had it with our civic so maybe it is a honda thing but......the drivers window goes up crooked and is working its nuts off just trying to get up. By crooked i mean it tilts towards the front of the car and the back top corner will not even be in the rubber stripping by the time it gets to the top. I tried fiddling with the track bolts last night but no luck. Is something actually worn and needing replacement, maybe that plastic thing that slides on the central track?
Anyone else these problems can help out?

thanks.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Default RE: window goes up crooked....need help

Because you didn't include your year/trim I'm going to assume it's a 94-97 since that's a common issue with those cars... pop the door panel off, take a rag and clean the rear track out as well as you can, then spray some wd-40 or silicone based spray in there and run the window up/down a few times (that helps) but the real issue is probably the front track, run the window all the way down and then look at the front edge of the window and make certain that it's sitting properly inside the front window rubber track... that's the most common reason for this issue. The other is alignment but it sounds like you've been playing with that already

Old 06-26-2007, 11:28 PM
jam
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry, it's a 97 ex.

Those front and back tracks are just for guiding though aren't they? The centre one is the one that does all the work?

Once it starts going crooked (about half way up) then it slows down and the motor is working really hard. Goes crooked every time though, even when fiddling with the alignment bolts for the centre track.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:49 PM

The center one does all the work, however, I had the same issue on my 94 and it turned out to be the front track. It does just guide the window up/down but if it's outside of that track then the window gets "pinched" on the front edge and rocks forward so the motor now has to fight. so that is the most common issue and the window somehow on my car just came out of there... pop the door panel and have a look.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:24 PM
jam
Newest Of Newbies

so what exactly do you mean by "outside" the track? The window is just a little narrower than where those two tracks are placed and is already sitting in those tracks and can't come out unless you unbolt something. Do you mean if the rubber gets mucked up or something?

Old 06-28-2007, 05:38 PM

Towards the front of the door you'll see a little track that is lined with rubber, the leading edge of the window should fit in that track when it slides up and down. for some reason mine came out of there a while back and did the same thing that yours is doing. Basically take off that door panel and look in the front most access hole in the door and just to the lower right of that hole you'll see a little 10mm bolt, that bolt holds the track in place, roll the window all the way down and make sure that the leading edge of the glass is sitting inside the track and not off to one side or the other.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:23 PM
jam
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, i see what you are saying now, but the glass s definitely still in that track.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:16 AM

hmm so since i dotn feel liek flooding the server with a similiar question but i have a accord 03 ex v6.. and my passenger side window goes up slower then the driver and it seems liek its working to hard for wat it should be doing... should i clean up the guide rails also??? thanks

adam

Old 06-29-2007, 12:20 PM

Cleaning the guide rails will help but passenger side windows typically go up slower just because they get used less and so they have a chance to get more "gunked" up....

As for the crooked window, if you're certain it's still in the tracks and adjustment didn't work then I'd pull the door panel and connect the window switch, then run the window up slowly until it just starts to tilt and see what it's binding on... it's always possible that it's your rear track or the motor

Old 06-29-2007, 12:49 PM

thanks sir nasty