General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window on 89' goes up only when it wants

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Default Window on 89' goes up only when it wants

I have an 89' Accord LX-i with a 180k. The power drivers window has always given me trouble since I got it about a year ago. It goes (auto) down 100% of the time but when I try to put it up, it often takes a few clicks of the switch until it reponds. The longer I have owned it the more cycle of the switch it takes to get it to all of a sudden responds. Once it starts going up the window moves fast and smooth, so I know the motor/linkage is OK. Over the summer I took the switch apart (a pain since you have to take the whole door panel off to get to it) and the contacts looked clean and seem to make perfect contact. Does anyone know if there is a secondary controller somewhere else? Anyone had a similar problem or ideas how to trace down the source of the fault? It is 20 degrees here and the last thing I want is for that window to get stuck down at a toll booth to get on the highway. :-O

Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i have seen power windows control units do the same thing..........

located left door ,behind door panel , above speaker ,, black box , as i recall it has been a long long time since i looked at one of those ..

remove the panel , when window does not go up, tap on the control unit see if that helps .. if it works , try to find one at a salvage yard , as i recall it was pretty expensive ,,,,maybe prices have dropped by now ,, ??