General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window regulator

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:25 AM
TexasFlyer
Unregistered
Default Window regulator

This forum helped me out when it came to advice on replacing a window regulator on my 99 Accord Coupe so I thought I would summarize how the process went to help out the next guy.

My driver's side door would not roll all the way up, it would get almost to the top and start making a popping sound that got progressively worse. I talked to the local Honda dealer and was told it would cost anywhere from $250-$400 to repair. I'm not overly mechanical but given the right instructions, I can usually figure things out so I decided to do it myself.

I spent a lot of time searching the web for detailed instructions on how to remove the door panel before I remembered that I had a Haynes (or Chilton, I can't remember) manual for my car in the trunk. It is definitely worth the money to buy itif you don't already have one, it walks you step by step through the whole process and costs about $11-15 at your local auto parts store.

The Part - Saved almost $90 on the part alone... The dealer wanted $140 for a window regulator, I found an online parts site that sold it for $52, shipping included! I can't recommend the place enough, fast shipping and the part was exactly what I needed. The address is www.thecarpartwarehouse.com

With the part in hand and the Haynes manual, from start to finish, I was done replacing the window regulator in less than 2 hours, saving at least $200 in the process. It's not terribly hard to do and definitely worth the time. This forum helped when I was researching so I wanted to return the favor to the next guy. Good Luck...

Old 07-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Window regulator

Nice post. Window regulators are a great DIY project because of the cost/benefit ratio you found.

I have paid as much as $90 for a used regulator, and now the aftermarket regulators are available for 1/2 that price. I hope the quality is as good as OEM, which is not all that great as regulator failure is a quite common problem.

regards