General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

window seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 09:45 PM
bigeyedphish
Unregistered
Default window seal

Hello all!.....my first post here

The window on the driver's door does not seal properly. I am looking for the proper name of this rubber strip so i can replace it myself. Which leads me to my next question...will this be as easy and straightforward as a project as i think it will? I am by no means a car expert, but I'm good with my hands and figuring new stuff out, so I figure I am at least capable. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Old 06-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: window seal

first off Welcome to HAF,,,,,,,,,
secondly,, please input the year and model on your sig so all the members know what car you need help on..

the part in the pic is called the window run channel........looking at the pics, you might want to try to reposition it on the outer side of the window and leave it like that for a few days , since it is rubber , it might remold itself properly without the need of replacing it.........just get a small screwdriver and gently pry out on it as windlw goes up , so run channel will be on the outside of the glass..

if you ned to replace it, you need to remove the door panel. disattach the glass for the window regulator, 2 10mm bolts, lower regul;ator all the way down, . lay the glass gently down in the door cavity and replace the run channel.
make sure that run channel goes properly into the track guides.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:21 PM
bigeyedphish
Unregistered

Thanks!

I have a '96 accord, V6, 4 door

I have guided the window back under the seal as you suggested, and it always manages to find push back out of the channel like it is now....maybe i should apply some heat to try to reshape it again. BUT...looks like I'll be going for the replacement. Thanks for the help and warm welcome!

Old 06-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

... trying the heat gun might be a good idea,, do not overheat it or it might deform the channel , leave it alone for a while afterwards hopefully it will mold itself back to original position...if not you are correct ,time to replace it ..

And thanks for inputting year and model on the sig

Old 08-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Default window run channel '01 accord ex

I also have a question about the run channel. Mine for some reason has started to "fold out" on the drivers side and is grabbing the window creating a very slow window action when the button is pushed. any suggestions? thanks in advance

Old 06-24-2014, 05:46 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Bump.

Our '96 Accord 4dr has the same issue as the OP ... run channel gets folded under in the right rear corner (out several inches from the corner on each side). Using a credit card we can carefully raise the window and get the glass under the channel lip, but this is a short-term fix as the next time you open the window the rubber will curl back int.

Question -- has anyone fixed this relatively well by bending the channel rubber out and/or heating it? Before i drop $75 for a new run channel I'd like to see if there are any quick fixes that seem to be working.

Or ... is the problem in the window glass? Gradually losing curvature over time? I had seen suggestions that window curvature changes were responsible for many of the "slow power window" operation problems.

Thanks. John

Last edited by jkowtko; 06-25-2014 at 10:01 AM.