General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Window stuck

I was driving my 97 lx and it was very cold. My window started to go down on its own and when I tried switching it to up the window went down even more. It i now 18 degrease outside and my window is stuck, I can move it up and down but when it gets to a certain point up (which isn't very high), it just stops and won't move at all any higher. I have the door panel off and can't see anything that's keeping it from going up all the way, what should I look for? I also think now the switch is bad, this is the driver's window, the passenger's works good.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I had this happen when teens tried to prevent window from being raised while another teen was operating window. This causes a break in the tiny 90 deg bending shoe that routes the tension cable. Motor tries to move but not sufficient strenght. Yours probably failed trying to raise window against ice/drag of cold window guide.

Only fix is to replace the regulator. The tiny bending shoe is not available as a part.

Regulators are readily available on ebay, amazon, rock auto, etc. at reasonable prices.

good luck

Old 01-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I had this happen when teens tried to prevent window from being raised while another teen was operating window. This causes a break in the tiny 90 deg bending shoe that routes the tension cable. Motor tries to move but not sufficient strenght. Yours probably failed trying to raise window against ice/drag of cold window guide.

Only fix is to replace the regulator. The tiny bending shoe is not available as a part.

Regulators are readily available on ebay, amazon, rock auto, etc. at reasonable prices.

good luck
Thanks, but what can I do as of right now with the window? Is there a way I can get it to go up at least until I get the part?

Old 01-04-2015, 02:32 PM

Only way to get up (assuming regulator is jammed) is to cut the wire that pulls to the top, force the window up by hand, and rig a board jam to hold the window up (also have done this temporarily!).

You will need to remove door panel and vapor barrier (heat gun helps soften thermoplastic adhesive).

good luck

Old 01-04-2015, 02:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Only way to get up (assuming regulator is jammed) is to cut the wire that pulls to the top, force the window up by hand, and rig a board jam to hold the window up (also have done this temporarily!).

You will need to remove door panel and vapor barrier (heat gun helps soften thermoplastic adhesive).

good luck
Ok, I just took out the two 10mm bolts from the regulator holding the glass in, I was able to real easily just move the glass up in place and put a piece of cardboard to hold it in place. Since I only had to take those bolts out to move the glass, what do you think the real problem is? Is it the regulator?

Old 01-04-2015, 05:34 PM

Hard to see the regulator w/o removing, and if you remove you should be prepared to replace regulator. Window must be removed to access regulator per manual. See youtube videos on subject.

good luck

Old 01-06-2015, 03:27 AM

I just replaced mine cus the cable broke. No reason to remove the window. Just use tape to hold it up all the way is what I did draped over the top of the door. Then unbolted everything and replaced it. Look at 1a autos YouTube vid. Did it the same way he did. Easy and took me 30min.