General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Window Stuck and can't reach regulator bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Default Window Stuck and can't reach regulator bolts

I have a '94 Honda Accord. I rolled my window down and now my front passenger side window is stuck down all the way. When i try to raise it, there is no sound or any movement. Neither the switch on the passenger side or the drivers side will do anything. I removed the door panel, and can reach only one of the bolts(right side) that attaches the window to the regulator. I can't manually raise the window up, I've tried pulling from the top and pushing from the bottom. If I can get my window to raise about half way I see where I can get a 10mm socket wrench to fit and take off the bolt. But i can't get my window to go that high. Should I be able to raise my window while it is still attached the the regulator or do I have to disengage it first? Is there some other way to raise my window? Or some way to reach the bolt (left side) that I can't firgure out?

Old 09-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Remove the regulator mounting bolts from the door frame, then lift the regulator/glass up till the bolts that attach the regulator to the glass are aligned with the access holes in the door. The glass isn't very heavy, if you don't have a helper, just use a lot of masking tape to hold the glass up against the door. This is if you are replacing the regulator.

In your case, check the switch first.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

One way to test the power window motor/regulator is the unplug the electrical connector for the motor, then apply 12 volt power to the motor connections.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Remove the regulator mounting bolts from the door frame, then lift the regulator/glass up till the bolts that attach the regulator to the glass are aligned with the access holes in the door. The glass isn't very heavy, if you don't have a helper, just use a lot of masking tape to hold the glass up against the door. This is if you are replacing the regulator.

In your case, check the switch first.

Just tried this. The window and regulator did not go up high enough to reach the bolt before the regulator bar reached the top of the door and was too thick to go through the window slot. I also tried bypassing the switch by connecting the regulator motor to the switch port with two wires. Nothing happened. IS there another way to check the switch?

Old 09-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

One way to indirectly check the switch, is to check the window/regulator motor. Just apply 12 volt power and ground directly to the motor connector. If you don't have a 12 volt battery (lantern battery) around, you can use very long wire and connect to the car battery. Just do it very briefly so you don't burn out the motor if it is still good. One way makes it go up, switching the wires on the motor connection will make it go down.

If you want to test the switch, you would check for continuity. See attached image.

Attached Thumbnails Window Stuck and can't reach regulator bolts-window-switch-test.jpg   Window Stuck and can't reach regulator bolts-power-window-motor-test.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by afisch11
Just tried this. The window and regulator did not go up high enough to reach the bolt before the regulator bar reached the top of the door and was too thick to go through the window slot.
Once the regulator mounting bolts are removed it should be possible to lift it enough to line up with the glass mounting bolts with the access holes. Then remove glass mounting bolts. The regulator bar shouldn't be anywhere close to the top of the door. I use to have a 1995 Accord.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

There should be more than one set of access holes to remove the window mounting bolts. Since your window is down, you just need lift it up to reach the lower set of access holes.

Refer to this video:

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAf3LWVuGjE"

Old 09-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Tested the switch and tested the motor. It seems the motor has failed completely. Since the motor was bad and i would have to buy a new one, I decided to cut the cables that the motor used to pull the window up. Once I cut the cables I was able to raise the window glass high enough to reach the space where I could then detach it from the regulator bracket. I was then able to detach and remove the regulator and motor. I just put a rubber wedge in near the window to keep it from coming down until I get the new part. I found what I was looking for at 1aauto for about $50 and free ground shipping (should only take 2 days to get here). Then I'll put everything back together and if my test are correct it should work. Thank redbull1 for all the help.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by afisch11
Tested the switch and tested the motor. It seems the motor has failed completely. Since the motor was bad and i would have to buy a new one, I decided to cut the cables that the motor used to pull the window up. Once I cut the cables I was able to raise the window glass high enough to reach the space where I could then detach it from the regulator bracket. I was then able to detach and remove the regulator and motor. I just put a rubber wedge in near the window to keep it from coming down until I get the new part. I found what I was looking for at 1aauto for about $50 and free ground shipping (should only take 2 days to get here). Then I'll put everything back together and if my test are correct it should work. Thank redbull1 for all the help.
You're welcome.