General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Default Windshield Problem

Hi everyone. New to the forums and glad that they are here
In June 2010 I bought my 2006 Honda Accord 2 door model and of course love it. This is my 3rd Accord and never have had any issues with them before this one (except buying batteries, wipers and doing my oil changes)

The problem. When I bought my used Accord, I noticed that the windows were foggy and just assumed that someone put too much RainX on them. So got home and cleaned them and cleaned them and they stayed foggy. Took it back to the dealer and they tryed to clean them up. No luck. They then replaced my windshield. Still had the fog in the morning time. Brought it back in and they said that the new windshield was leaking. They fixed the leak. Next morning the fog was back. Dealer suggested keeping the windows opening during the day to give the interior time to dry out. Did this and in the morning I had a little dew but quick wipe with the wipers and it was fine.
Last night we had a rain storm and checked to make sure there was no leak on the floor, it was fine.
When I started driving, there was the normal dew that you expect after the rain, but it is like the longer I drive the foggier it gets. Turned my defrost on cold, didn't help, turned it on heat didn't help.The fog is on the outside of the wind shield. Have my wipers on high and all that is doing is causing the fog to leave a glaze on the window. After about 15 minutes of driving like this, I pull into a gas station and wipe it down. Still the fog as soon as I turn the car on but little better, still some left over glazing effects. Start driving into the morning sun and the glaze is now disappearing.
Still scratching my head trying to figure out what is going on. I find this a safety issue for driving at night or during a storm. I have taken pictures and have attached one of them. This is after 10 minutes of driving and windshield wipers on high.
Any suggestions? I have called my dealer again and they are not sure what is going on but they are checking around to see if they can get an answer.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield Problem-inside-2.jpg  
Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Fog on inside? Make sure your ventilation is NOT set for recirc. Need to set it for fresh air.

Fog on outside? You're cooling the windshield below the outside dew point by using the AC. Turn up the temperature or direct the air down instead.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Fog on inside? Make sure your ventilation is NOT set for recirc. Need to set it for fresh air.

Fog on outside? You're cooling the windshield below the outside dew point by using the AC. Turn up the temperature or direct the air down instead.

Fog is on outside. I don't have the air on. I turned on the defrost this morning to see if it would calm it down but didn't work. I am not having any fog issues on the inside of the car. This is why I am completely puzzled.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Direct the air down & crank up the heat.
Your AC might be on without you knowing it.

On my 2003, whenever you direct the air to the defrost, the AC runs in "stealth" mode. Green pilot-light on the AC button doesn't come on. And you CANNOT turn it off. IMHO that was the stupidest feature. Most cars switch on the AC when you defrost, but they allow you to switch it off.

Fog on the outside of the windshield has happened to me several times when the relative humidity outside is real high. It's especially nasty if the window is cold before I drive into a bunch of humid air.

Last edited by JimBlake; 07-30-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Direct the air down & crank up the heat.
Your AC might be on without you knowing it.

On my 2003, whenever you direct the air to the defrost, the AC runs in "stealth" mode. Green pilot-light on the AC button doesn't come on. And you CANNOT turn it off. IMHO that was the stupidest feature. Most cars switch on the AC when you defrost, but they allow you to switch it off.

Fog on the outside of the windshield has happened to me several times when the relative humidity outside is real high. It's especially nasty if the window is cold before I drive into a bunch of humid air.
I live in Florida so the humidity can be high about 11 months out of the year!
The biggest problem with all of this is though, even after running my windshield wipers (with new blades) the fog on the outside window doesn't disappear, a fog or glazes stays on the windshield. Can you notice that on the picture I posted? Here is another picture too.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield Problem-inside-1.jpg  
Old 07-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Try a cup of white vinegar into a gallon of water, use it to clean the windshield, or into your washer fluid bottle.
It might be acidic enough to clean off what ever is causing the haze.
Joy dishwashing liquid is also good for breaking down anything that is a petroleum product.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Emergency Glass Repair
Did you ever get this problem fixed?
Not 100% fixed, just learned how to drive with the conditions. I have to turn the heat on while in defrost. Kinda stinks to do this in 100 degree weather, but need the ability to see and drive.
They replaced the windshield and it helped as well. I think it is possibly that it is a manufacture issue but don't hear anyone else on hear saying anything so we will not ever know, I guess.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:49 PM

I live in Louisiana, so I know the humidity can be tough, especially at night or rainy conditions. If you blow the cold A/C air through the windshield vents too long, it will cause condensation on the outside of the windshield. I will run the cold A/C air to the windshield just long enough to clear the inside of the windshield, then switch back to dash vents, until the inside of the windshield fogs up again. If you turn the heat up, blowing on the windshield, it will keep the windshield dry, but you will suffocate. If you really want the windshield dry, you have to hit it with high heat, then switch to dash vents with cool air. Good luck dealing with it.