General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Won't shift out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Clean99V6
Unregistered
Default Won't shift out of Park

As title states. Stuck in Park. Must use Override to shift into Neutral and start. Read a few examples, but for older gen Accords. happened once or twice, now does it most the time so intermittent. Doesn't matter if its on a slope. Wheel is not locked, Shifter button depresses like half way. Ideas I've read: Shift Lock Solenoid going bad, Main Ignition Switch, and a Brake Light Switch which is ruled out if brake lights come on.(Haven't tried). Anyone else have this happen? cost, suggestions?

Old 02-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Default RE: Won't shift out of Park

I'm going to assume that you're talking about a 99 V6 accord (from your title) but for future referance it may help to add that information to your signature. The cost of fixing this issue isn't very expensive (generally speaking) just time consuming to troubleshoot, the most common issues we've seen here are the brake light switch (you've read the test for that one), the shift lock selenoid going bad (remove center console and clean it/clean the contacts, commom problem when stuff gets spilled in there, a "sticky" feeling button may also help as an indicator but not always, cheap part usually) and the Main ignition switch is possible but doubtfull (can you shift it easily/just fine without the key turned at all/car off? I don't recall if newer cars will even allow you to do that but if you can shift it without the car being on/key in then I'd lean towards the shift lock selenoid)

so there's a few quick/easy things to try out, let us know the results and confirm that you do have a 99 accord v6 auto

Old 02-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Clean99V6
Unregistered

Yes, I should have clarified, it is an Accord. The main ignition switch has been changed since the recall which I found out. So I am down to the Shift lock solenoid which I believe I see with the trim off. Once its out of park it shifts fine to every other gear. It is possible for the Main ignition switch to go bad again, but as you said, doubtful. A little more detail on cleaning the contacts to the solenoid would be helpful. I'd rather try to fix myself than pay over $100 at the shop. thanks for the quick reply.l

Old 02-27-2007, 01:34 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

do the easy things first, have someone step on the brakes and see if the lites work ,, if not ,, blow the horn if it works,, fuse is ok,, and you got possibly a bad brake switch,,

Old 03-04-2007, 12:49 AM

Not sure what year accord you have, but here is a post that details the problem.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-tr...old-47055.html