General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Default Is this worth it?

I have a chance to buy a 2001 EX Coupe, 90K miles for $1,000. Here is the bad news, it has not been driven in 5 years. It's sat in a garage the entire time. I assume I need to change an gas in the tank, fuel filter, the oil, coolant, rotted hoses, belts, battery, etc. Needs new windshield-cracked, and battery. Are there any other issues with a car sitting for so long? Thanks.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rocko99
I have a chance to buy a 2001 EX Coupe, 90K miles for $1,000. Here is the bad news, it has not been driven in 5 years. It's sat in a garage the entire time. I assume I need to change an gas in the tank, fuel filter, the oil, coolant, rotted hoses, belts, battery, etc. Needs new windshield-cracked, and battery. Are there any other issues with a car sitting for so long? Thanks.
Flush the braking system and inspect the boots on the calipers. If the car has a manual transmission, I'm pretty sure that car has a hydraulic clutch linkage so you'll need to flush that system as well.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

That's a long time. I'd pull the plugs, pour a few ounces of a light lubricant, like Marvel Mystery Oil, into each cylinder and turn the engine over by hand with the harmonic balancer bolt a few revolutions. Maybe even let it sit like that overnight and turn it over by hand a few more times the next day. Suck out the leftover MMO with a turkey baster. Change the oil & filter.

I don't think the hoses would rot anymore than if it were driven those five years. The accessory belts, sure, they're probably hard & cracked. I'm guessing the timing & balance belts would have held up well enough to start the engine but they should probably be changed soon.

The hard part will be getting every last drop of gas out of it. Drop the tank and clean the strainer or replace it depending on how varnished-clogged it is. Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail and run the pump for a few cycles to flush the old gas out of the line. If it starts/runs dump some fuel system cleaner in the tank to get the varnish out of the injectors.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

How was it stored?

Mice etc just LOVE to chew on the wiring harness, airfilter, etc.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM

It was stored in a garage, in the high desert, rested on it's tires. I talked to the owner a bit more. It was started 2-3 years ago just to move it. Other than that, nothing has been done. It has no airbags-never put back after accident, AC did not work when stored. I am going to pass on this . By the time I do what it takes to get it road worthy, I could have bought one already to go. Thanks for your help guys.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 PM

pretty dumb considering thats a 4500 dollar car easy.