General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Write or DIY for engine removal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Default Write or DIY for engine removal?

I have an 99 EX V6 Auto are there any write ups on engine removal?

Has anyone done one without a lift?

I seen some write about removing front wheel drive cars engines by dropping the engine out the bottom and then using the engine hoist to lift the car off the motor. Can this be done? Has anyone done it on a Honda V6/

Thanks in advance for your helpfull insights.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:44 PM

Why would you lift the car off a motor with the engine hoist when you could just use the engine hoist to lift the engine straight out the top? Im sure its possible but not really an easier way. Also, park your car under a tree and use a heavy duty rope and chain and a few guys. Should pull your engine right out. Ive seen it done before. Its a pain in the butt

Old 09-23-2012, 02:23 PM

I have seen in all of the manuals that you cant take it out from the top.

Apparently the frame bulkhead on the right hand side is so tight that there is no wiggle room. You need to drop the motor and lift the car oof it.

Have you ever pulled an Accord V6, seen it done or know of a website with a DIY.

I have seen other website front wheel drive engines removed by droping them out the bottom. Then you supposedly use the lift to elevate the car off the engine and slide it out.

Before I start this I need to communicate with some one who has actually done this or has access to website that discusses it. This is really crazy because of the size and number of users of this website, I can't find a single reference to puliing an engine at home.

I appreciate your reply but I dont want to "drive under a tree", disconnect everthing, and find it's impossible to get it out the top. I'd really be up a creek without a paddle wouldnt I?

That's what drives me nuts about this and other forums there are so many people who put their two cents worth in but they really are expressing merely there own opinon how something should be done.

For months I was on this forum trying to solve the bad idle problem code 300 -306 issue and I got dozen of responses like bad plugs, new distributor cap, wires, bleed the cooling system, adjust the valves, clean the egr etc. It turned out to be bad compression on cylinder number 3 only 70lb. That was my first thought but I didnt believe this relativley low mileage engine could have this issue, I assumed that people on this board knew more than me about Hondas but obviousy not.

If have ever pulled a v/6 at home with just an at home engine lift or know of an actual site dealing with this let me know.

Last edited by bostongrun; 09-23-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 PM

going out the top is the best method. period. Unless you have a lift and engine jack both of which are way more expensive and involved than the out and up method.

Go to V6 Performance.net then go to the 6 gen section and I guarantee you will find a DIY engine pull out thread. Do not "drop" it out the bottom please.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by bostongrun
It turned out to be bad compression on cylinder number 3 only 70lb. That was my first thought but I didnt believe this relativley low mileage engine could have this issue, I assumed that people on this board knew more than me about Hondas but obviously not..

If this truly is your first thought for the problem you described then you really dont have a clue. Sorry to be blunt but its the truth. Everyone told you to do exactly what a mechanic would do. they start with general items that should be or should have been serviced to pinpoint issues.

Its like this, if you have a stall out problem and test for spark and get nothing you dont instantly jump to the ECu being the problem. You start by tracing it back.

So chill out, cars are machines and just guessing on what you think might be the problem might send you on a wild and expensive goose chase with little to no benefit. If you replace the basic components while tying to track an issue item down then you have at least maintained your car (aka not a total waste of money).

Old 09-23-2012, 09:31 PM

I went to that site and cant find a write up for out the top. Every source I checked Alldata, Ciltons and Motors say go out the bottom. I went to that site you told me to and couldnt find a write up. I cant find a single write up about pulling the motor out the top anywhere. Have you yourself actually done one that way.

Your right I should have done what my gut sad was right first. I just didnt think this engine would do this.

All I want is to communicate with someone who has actually pulled one from the top.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:41 AM

mrV6p has done it here. PM him
MrV6P's Project Car - V6 Performance.net Forums