General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator brushes on 91 accord write up

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Default alternator brushes on 91 accord write up

Hi, thought this might come in handy since I could not find a post.

My battery light started coming on and I found that a few sharp taps on the running alternator would jar the brushes to make contact for a few more days, while I found a source for replacement brushes. My local Honda dealer did not have the part, but Napa did for 30 bucks.

I dropped on my knees to eyeball the unit good and there appeared to be just enough room to fudge the back cover off the alternator while it was still mounted on the car and there was.

Be sure to remove the neg wire to the battery before you start.

Pull the round plug off the back and remove the bat cable, also remove the 12mm nut which the batt cable was jammed against, then wiggle the brown isolator off the batt cable post. This helps hold the back cover on.

Remove the three 8mm nuts and wiggle the cover off. If there in contact with the heat sheild on the exhaust manifold you can bend it alittle with a 2 foot bar or equivilant.

Once the cover is off, look for the 2 screws closeset to the shaft. These 2 screws hold on the brush assy, get a stubby screw driver and hold a magnet close and remove the screws, these screws are 1/4" long.

Remove old brush assy and make a square 'C' shape with a paper clip to hold the brushes in the retracted position on the new brush set.

Set the brush assy in position and remove paper clip, then carefully reinstall the screws, plus reassemble cover. It took me about 2 hours to complete and it was my first time.

Hope this helps

Powell

Old 01-10-2009, 06:24 PM
all22s
Unregistered
Default RE: alternator brushes on 91 accord write up

pics would be nice. and probably helpful as well

just my .02
good write up though

Old 02-04-2009, 11:16 AM

I am about to do this procedure and like that the alt does not necessarily need to be removed. How much bending was involved with the cover?

Old 05-10-2009, 12:46 AM
toddk63
Unregistered

I just bent the exhaust heat shield in a little bit to make removing the alternator cover much easier. No harm, no foul.

Todd K.