General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wrong fluid in power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Default Wrong fluid in power steering pump

If previous owner has put Wrong fluid in power steering pump,would it cause the fluid to come out the resivour,also the power sterring does not work.should i change pump or drain fluid and put in correct see if that works.pump seems to be working has no leaks
1997 accord ES V6
just purchased this car this is first thing to be wrong

Old 07-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would try flushing by disconnecting and plugging the PS return hose from rack and directing to a catch pan (may need an extension hose).

1) Suction or drain old fluid from PS reservoir
2) Refill w/ new Honda rated PS fluid
3) Start engine and add new PS fluid to reservoir to maintain adequate level as you push old fluid into catch pan. May need help to cut engine on/off to keep up w/ PS pump rate.
4) Stop when new fluid exist PS return.

Is PS fluid foaming on return to reservoir, then there may be a leaking oring on PS pump inlet fitting sucking air into fluid.

good luck

Old 07-09-2013, 01:18 PM

will give it a go, would this bubbling cause the steering to be hard?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Yes, foamy fluid is doesn't allow hydraulics to function and amplify steering effort.

good luck

Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Almost A Senior Member

not to hijack the thread,,but why does honda require special fluid,,

Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 PM

For my Toyota, here's what I did to flush the power steering fluid:
1. Disconnect the return line at the reservoir.
2. Plug the reservoir return port.
3. Insert a plastic tube of appropriate size into return line.
4. Fill up reservoir over the full mark.
5. With the engine off, have your lovely assistant turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock while you pour in fluid. Lovely assistant may be blonde, brunette or redhead but you know what they say about blondes, and redheads are known to have a temper. Choose wisely.
6. Cycle the wheel from lock to lock until the fluid comes out clean.
7. Reconnect the return line, fill reservoir and cycle from lock to lock to push air (if any) back to the reservoir. Keep an eye on the fluid level, but it shouldn't drop much at this point.

Not running the engine makes it easy to keep up with the fluid that's being pushed out. This worked on my Toyota but I don't know if there is something about the Honda pump design that would prevent using this method. Next time I do my Ford or Honda, I'll use this method. It's so easy and clean.

For my Ford, rather than run the engine, I would use a similar procedure to the above except I would turn the engine over using the starter, as specified in the shop manual. To keep the engine from running, pull the fuel pump fuse. Removing the spark plugs would reduce the load on the starter.

The method that PAHonda mentions is what the Honda shop manual recommends. I've tried that on my Ford and Toyota and they both pushed out fluid faster than I could pour, even when the wheel wasn't being turned.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by woody31
not to hijack the thread,,but why does honda require special fluid,,

Don't really know.....my guess is that it is in the pump design.

I can tell you it does matter.....One of the 3rd gens I bought, the owner had had the rack replaced....he told me that after that it didn't leak but it had "hard spots" in it and seemed like the pump was not working.

Bought the car - still have it - flushed the fluid with Honda/Acura approved fluid from valvoline and the steering has been fine since

EDIT: Couldn't pass up on the car, $700. Was/is in good condition - the issue is the PO had the timing belt replaced but not the water pump....and less than 7k miles later the pump was making noise....he didn't want to pay for the "job" again on such an old car. Little did he know, on the 3rd gens you CAN change the water pump without removing the timing belt - or even totally removing the covers . So for me it was an easy fix.

Last edited by poorman212; 07-10-2013 at 05:27 PM.