General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Yet ANOTHER problem with the '91 Accord.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Default Yet ANOTHER problem with the '91 Accord.

In my attempt to repair what I can, when I can afford it on the '91 Accord, I replaced the battery terminal ends yesterday. The old ones were in TERRIBLE shape and kept coming loose, causing all sorts of problems. I got the new ones on and decided to run the car up to the local store to get a pack of Newports. Upon discovering that I had accidently left 1/2 the money I needed for the smokes in the console of the '95 Accord, I tried to drive the '91 back home. I say "tried" because it almost didnt make it.

I left the gas station and other than the surging, the car was running fine. Suddenly I noticed that it was slowing down even though I was still accelerating. The engine was still running (my first thought was the engine was attempting to stall), but the car kept getting slower and slower. The car downshifted into 2nd gear to maintain 40 MPH and the engine was screaming. It was as if someone had tied an F-350 to my rear bumper. As soon as I let off the gas, the car slow dramaticly and almost came to a stop. I smelled burning brakes. Since I had just about a1/2 mile to go, I just hit the gas and forced the car to drive on home. The steering wheel was shaking bad, warped rotors will do that of course.I pulled it into the back yard and sure enough, smoke was pouring from both front wheels. I hosed it down to prevent a fire. It appears that BOTH front brakes were engauging. The brake pedal is very stiff, but did slow the car further when I pressed it (to turn into the driveway).

I could understand if one side did it, it would just be a caliper that was stuck due to old age or something. But both sides? What could cause both sides to get stuck at the same time? The store is only a couple of miles away. I find it hard to believe that I overheated the brakes in that short of a distance, especially since I had let off of them as soon as I pulled out of the driveway and didnt use them again until I pulled into the store's parking lot.

Today I pulled the dr. side front wheel off, and the brake pads are worn but not "metal-to-metal". The rotors are scored and obviously need to be replaced. Could the brakes being badly worn have caused them to get stuck like that? I've never had that happen on any of my Fords or my Saturn (who's brakes were BADLY worn when I bought it), but this is a Honda and I never delt with this issue on my previous Hondas (the '95 had new brakes put on just before I got it). Any insight would be helpfull and greatly appreciated.

I honestly dont know what I can do with this car. I fix the brake lights and the radio almost burns the car down. I fix the battery terminals, and the brakes get stuck on! What happends if I fix the surging issue? Willthe car justblow up? LMAO all kidding aside, I am understandably getting extreamly frustrated with this Accord! [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 09-19-2008, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Yet ANOTHER problem with the '91 Accord.

The brake pads being warm should not cause the hydraulics to lock up like you are describing. There are two floating bolts for the brake caliper to slide on. They may need some lubrication so the caliper can release the brake pad from the rotor.

Alternatively, the pistons in each caliper can both be seized up.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've heard of this happening when master cylinder is replaced and power booster pushrod - master cylinder piston is too close. As system warms the brakes lock up. Has master cylinder been replaced recently?

A faulty power booster or brake pedal sticking could also cause this problem.

good luck

Old 09-19-2008, 02:56 PM

No brake work of any kind has recently been performed. The brake fluid level is at the "MIN" level according to the gauge imprinted on the resivor.

Since the car has been sitting, perhaps the lubrication idea is the most plausable. Where would I lubricate it? Just to remove the wheel took some work, the area got so hot that the wheel itself didnt want to budge even after the car had been sitting for two days (ample time for it to cool down). I had to smack it several times with a tire iron to get it loose. I can only imagine that the extream heat caused this.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Time to redo the brakes and lube caliper pins and install new pin boots. Push the caliper pistons back in w/ a C-clamp or other tool. They should push back in w/ reasonable resistance (hopefully you've done this before. If dust boots are damaged they need to be replaced.

good luck