General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another AC Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 03:25 PM
campy19@optonline.ne
Unregistered
Default Yet Another AC Problem.

Ok,

I have posted before, but nobody was able to help. I am hoping that will change (please ). I have a 2003 Accord EX. The car has been to the dealer twice due to the AC. They can not find the problem, although the service person (not the actual technician) has verified that the compressor will not engage. The AC will run normally for a few days and then all of a sudden the compressor will not kick in and I just get vent air. The tech's are unable to duplicate the problem. I guess I want to say that the compressor is not engaging reliably. There is plenty of pressure in the system, the HVAC test yields no abnormal results, and the door to switch between cool and warm air is operating correctly. Anybody know what the tech could be missing before I take it back in? When the AC is working, it is cold at 37 degrees (it was fine on my 120 mile trip today, but then didn't work shortly after I got home and went back out).

BTW, my radio had been replaced once due to the lighting issue, could there be any problems from that job? That was done a few years back, however.

Thanks for any help,
Chris

Old 05-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Yet Another AC Problem.

If you have automatic temp control (ATC), you should perform the self-diagnostics routine. You will probably need a shop manual to get the procedure. I don't have one for your model.

If you don't have ATC, an electrical problem seems most likely source of your difficulty. Check clutch coil (possibly intermittent open), trinary hi-low pressure switch (faulty switch opening compressor circuit), or a faulty thermostat on the evaporator causing compressor circuit to open.

good luck

Old 05-21-2007, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

When the A/C stops working, check to make sure that both fans are running when the A/C is turned on.

I would also pull the connector for the A/C compressor when not working. I'm not sure if the 03 is a one wire connection, but I would check for battery voltage at the connector that goes to the compressor. If you have voltage, then the coil is likely the culprit. If no voltage, then I would look at the relay or the fuses in the system.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

The next time your A/C fails you might try this "self test"
It could help to know if the vent systemis causing the problem or if the compressor is dropping out.
You should be able to hear the compressor when it turns on and off

Old 04-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Default Follow to my 1st post today re '03 Accord V6 A/C issue

Originally Posted by hondadude
The next time your A/C fails you might try this "self test"
It could help to know if the vent systemis causing the problem or if the compressor is dropping out.
You should be able to hear the compressor when it turns on and off

Searched for issues related to mine turned up this thread. Would it be too much to ask how results are displayed when running the self-diagnostic. Is it strictly pass/fail? How long for process to complete? Anything else useful to know for someone not familiar with this test?

Attached Thumbnails  Yet Another AC Problem.-03accventmodetstgy1.jpg  
Old 04-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ZZig50
Searched for issues related to mine turned up this thread. Would it be too much to ask how results are displayed when running the self-diagnostic. Is it strictly pass/fail? How long for process to complete? Anything else useful to know for someone not familiar with this test?
See this thread:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-code-s-34589/