HAF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with HAF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better HAF? Tell us here.

Share Your Opinion To Improve HAF

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by g22cd5
bump! what do you think Angelo?!?
It gets to be way too much work getting the owners to change the format.
What happens is that the sales people all come in and act like customers and tell us all how great the products are from XYZ company..So I'm going to say no on that idea..

WheelBrokerAngelo

Old 04-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Supper Moderator

No that's not what I mean. I was talking about personal sales not from companies. Like If I sold something to another forum member he/she can post a thread on what they got and if they got ripped off or if the sale was good. Things like that I get your point on the company thing tho.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 PM

fake customers do tend to thrive on buyer/seller rating threads.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:09 AM
Default Update to Forum instructions for improved placement of DIY/Gen Tech questions

I appreciate all that the moderators do/have done to help others and myself on this site, considering how frustrating it can be sometimes, especially when you have forum rules posted, but then have to move threads around due to improper location of original postings.

Some of your "stickys" reveal those frustrations all too well, especially concerning where to post questions like, "How do I...?", "Please help!", "Need advice", etc.

Like many other "newbies", I try to follow the rules as best I can, in hopes that my requests for help are answered promptly (if possible), and also so that I don't upset any moderators out there (respect).

So, in the forum: Do-It-Yourself Section, where requests for assistance are NOT to be posted, under that heading it says "This section is for requests for DIY help, not for general technical advice."

- The way I read that, if I was a DIY'er (which I am), and I wanted to make a request for help (which I often do), then I would seriously consider posting my question here, even though I'm supposed to read the sticky about not doing so (especially if I didn't read it). And, "general technical advice" is what I would be looking for, tho not in the same frame of reference that you intended here, I know...., but that's how it reads. No offense, but it is a bit confusing and misleading at first read.

Then, in the forum: General Tech Help, where requests for help, answers, diagnostic advice, and possible answers to a poster's specific mechanical problem(s) are supposed to be posted, directions under that heading are: "Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here."

- Again please, no offense, but "Good at troubleshooting?" tells me I'm in the wrong place if I need to ask for help diagnosing a problem with my car, and my specific mechanical problem probably doesn't belong in a forum designated for "non specific issue(s)", or where one would "Discuss general tech topics....", because frankly, I'm not looking for a "discussion" about my problem, (tho they often become that in the process), I'm looking (hoping) for answers.

I'm just trying to help, not to be picky or sarcastic in any way whatsoever, but you may want to consider changing/rearranging some of this directional advice to new posters. More simple and direct instructions like, "This is for questions or advice about the problem(s) you are having. Looking for answers? We'll try!", under the General Tech Help heading, and finding a way to take out "requests" and "help" in the Do-It-Yourself Section, would do the trick.

You might be surprised at the results.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Most of us mods agree with what you're suggesting, but we've tried to do a lot of that without success. We don't have the "powers" to change forum structure, or to change those obsolete descriptions (like "here's where you request...")

For legitimate posts that are in the wrong forum, I normally move them without assigning any penalties. I save penalties & bans for people who post spam or worse. So as far as I'm concerned, don't worry if someone moves your post, it's probably in a better place for you to get a good answer.

There hasn't been much success in making a difference between General Tech and DIY. Sometimes you want instructions to do it yourself, then change your mind when you realize it's over your head. Other times someone asks a question & later discovers that the job is pretty easy so she does it herself. It seems more convenient when all of these are in one place for newbies to search through.

We want to save the "DIY" forum for things like step-by-step procedures and well-controlled information. The threads about "how do I fix this" which follow a winding path through the posters individual trial&error process; we want those over in General Tech. I never really understood or agreed with the description that says "have a non-specific problem".

I wish we could completely re-write the descriptions that are visible on the list of forum areas. Our admin (Angelo) has tried. But we're stuck with writing things in "sticky" threads with titles like "YOU MUST READ THIS FIRST".

Old 03-31-2011, 01:00 PM

Gotcha, I feel your pain. If not such a problem, then no need for solution. I wasn't particularly worried about it, but it seems that some are or have been, with all the "!!!" out there. K.

Thank you, JimBlake.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

All the shouting & !!! was some kind of attempt to get people's attention in spite of the obsolete text that you pointed out.

There's a "moderators forum" that you can't see, containing a big thread of discussion about this very issue.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Default Help Me

I am new and would like to post a question. How do I do that ?
Feeders1978.

Tks.

Originally Posted by deserthonda
I was sitting here wondering how we can make HAF even better for current members and more inviting to non-members than what it already is ..

And i though who better to ask than all of you ..

I would like to read your inputs ..the dos and the do not.the good and the bad that you feel exist here at HAF .How can we improve are good and eliminate our bad ..
. and please feel free to speak honestly and freely .

Now,, that does not mean that we will do as it is suggested BUT i will personally and i am sure other MODS and ADMIN will read these, and if we feel that some of your suggestions are beneficial to our forum and all of its members , We will evaluate them and use them

And please .. keep your suggestion REALISTICLY OBTAINABLE

Thanks
Gianni ...

Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Well, select the forum that you're interested, for example General Tech. for most questions about how to fix something.

Then click the "new thread" button at top-left.

Attached Thumbnails Share Your Opinion To Improve  HAF-newthread.jpg