Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

built my own SRI, is it worse than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Default built my own SRI, is it worse than stock?

i recently bought a 4 inch specter cone filer and 45 degree elbow and needed more for a true CAI, but didnt want to keep the stock plumbing. so i stuck the elbow on the TB and put the filter on the elbow. i plugged the vacuum lines with screws. it sounds very aggressive but it made it a little odd to drive. for instance in colder weather, like we've been having here in southern Mo. lately, it will idle at about 1500 when its first started, like it always did. then it will drop down when its warmed up. when i put it in first and touch the gas to get going it will rise to 1500 again and pull its own weight until i push the clutch in and it revs up to about 2 grand for a second or two then drops to regular idle. it doesnt do it all the time but often enough to notice.

Also i know SRI's increase throttle response, is there such a thing as too much of this? i touch my gas pedal and it will shoot up about 2000 RPM. and when in lower rpms it will sort of do what i described above but only for a few seconds after i let off the gas instead of until i press the clutch.

I would post a picture of my set up but all i have is my cell phone for pictures and i dont have a little memory card. if someone would let me text the pic to get it up here that would be helpful i have a (417) area code and all Altell/Verison phones are free for me to text. If the pic isnt needed then let me know what you guys think.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Drill some holes into the elbow & get some hose nipples. You should re-connect the vacuum lines that used to connect into that long air tube between the filter & throttlebody.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:05 AM

Is there any detrimental effects for driving it how it is now? because ive been driving it like this for about 3 weeks or so.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Just off the top of my head, here's some problems.

Crankcase vent plugged:
PCV valve will pull vacuum in crankcase. Maybe (over time) damage any seals like crankshaft main seals, valve stem seals, any others...?

Vents for the boost valve:
I don't completely understand the purpose or operation of that valve, cause I never owned an older Accord that had that. But it seems to be related to idle control. With any of those lines plugged I think it can cause your idle problems. I don't know whether it does any permanent damage.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 AM

Ok, ill go ahead and borrow my buddy's drill and buy some nipples just to make sure nothing happens before i can buy my new motor.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:42 AM

or you can just buys some breathers

Old 10-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, if it's easier for each of those hoses to have it's own little filter instead of putting them in the elbow of your SRI.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:27 AM

I don't know about you guys, but....I want to see some pics

Old 10-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Administrator

I'm a believer of buying the correct one for my ride, not to many members in here over the last few years have made them selves an Intake and had it work correctly.
A few have and that was of course good..Buy the correct one 1st and discreate the problems that crop up...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-29-2009, 08:22 AM

[slowjo] i have a bunch of pics, but no memory card to get it off my phone to the PC. If i could text it to someone and have them post it that would be most helpful.

[jimblake] Oh and i have a few of those mini filters so if they work then that will be easy.

[wheelbrokerang] i plan on putting a H22 in it, so if this one doesnt work then i'll do it how spectre recomends. Or if they have one from Mugen then ill go that way.