Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Catback Exhaust - Worth

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Catback Exhaust - Worth

Greetings,

So I'm thinking about some new exhaust for my Accord (In case my sig wont appear, '96 LX Sedan), mostly because I hate the look of the tiny rolled tip. I'm not in the mood to listen to something raspy and loud, as on one of my previous cars (Taurus SHO), the owner prior had put some Magnaflows on without a resonator and the drone irritated me. Mostly what I want the exhaust for is looks. But I'm curious about the "worth" of the exhaust. I know when coupled with an intake (which I plan to purchase a SRI) and a header you can see some minor power gains. Power gains aren't really what I'm interested in. Mostly, I want to know about miles per gallon gains. How restrictive is the stock exhaust? Is it even at all? If I'm not going to see any gains in power OR miles per gallon, would it just be worth it to put a tip on there for purely aesthetic reasons?

Although, I suppose it might be worth it to have a decent tone to the motor, but nothing obnoixously loud or droning. I just want something quiet, that gives a decent tone when it can be heard and will mostly increase my MPG's. I'm not a racer (those days are over for me), so I don't care too much about power increase.

Then to add: Is it worth it to purchase one of the cheaper catbacks off ebay? I see some reasonably priced ones, but I'm not sure if they'd give the tone I want or if they're more for the people who are interested in the obnoxiously loud.

Thanks

Old 04-23-2009, 12:08 AM
accord42094
Unregistered

hey i have a 94 accord lx coupe and i feel the same way im debating on getting the full catback exhaust and header for 200 bc idk what it will sound like

Old 04-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The saying "you get what you pay for" applies to just about every car part out there.

With the eBay no-name exhaust and headers... they usually sound like pissing money away. A custom exhaust shop can make a pretty decent sounding exhaust cheaper than a full stainless name brand catback. Vibrant spiral resonator and the right magnaflow muffler can sound VERY good.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:55 AM

the louder the better

Old 04-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by finch13
The saying "you get what you pay for" applies to just about every car part out there.

With the eBay no-name exhaust and headers... they usually sound like pissing money away. A custom exhaust shop can make a pretty decent sounding exhaust cheaper than a full stainless name brand catback. Vibrant spiral resonator and the right magnaflow muffler can sound VERY good.
So when it comes to the mods I'm intending to put on (SRI, maybe header), will I actually see any MPG gain (even if it's just 1) or minor power gain, or is it akin to attaching a playing card to my bike spokes?

I'm not terribly familiar with working with four-cylinder motors or Hondas in general. Most of my cars up until now have been Fords and they ALWAYS need improvements. I'm mostly just worried that the Honda is tuned properly as it is and I'd end-up losing the things I want out of it when I begin to modify it.

Thanks

Old 04-23-2009, 11:05 AM

Adding anything to the exhaust almost always ends up in a loss of power in the low end and gain in high end, which is I why we say there are no real power gains. There are much cheaper ways to make power, when it comes down to the hp-per-dollar ratio, with an exhaust you're paying like $50 for each HP.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So, essentially no miles per gallon gains then either? I don't race and don't accelerate quickly, which means I never really rev the motor terribly high. Basically what you're telling me, finch, is that I ought to just go with a tip (if at all) to get the aesthetics that I want because I'm not really going to be gaining anything other than that?

Thanks

Old 04-24-2009, 10:50 AM

Probably the best bang for the buck. A good tip is about $40, not the $10 crap at the parts store lol.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Indeed.

I was actually looking at some of the tips on this page
http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?Nt...605+4294965189
I like the very last dual exhaust tip. I just want something that looks decent under my bumper, no big grapefruit shooters or anything.