Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

EGR Flow

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 01:53 PM
baer77
Unregistered
Default EGR Flow

Hello everyone,
I have a 98 Accord LX V6. My check engine light keeps coming on due to the code that basically says my EGR flow is bad. I replaced the egr valve myself but found some great info on here regarding a recall of this year Accord due to the holes in the EGR port being too small. I found some great step by step instructions about how to fix this problem! It says to use the special drill bit from the EGR pipe installation kit to drill larger holes. However, I didn't get any drill bit. I got the little pipe thingie but that's all. Does anyone know what size this drill bit is so I could maybe just use a regular drill bit? Please help! I already spent $300 for my mechanic to "clean it out", and another $60 for the EGR valve.
If this is such a problem with 98-00 Accords, how come everyone else knows about it except for the mechanics???

Old 03-18-2007, 01:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: EGR Flow

If you alrteady spent $ 300 to the mechanic to clean it up,, why not take it back to him and have it redo it free of charge ,,,,And on the question you pused ((( how come everyone else knows about it except for the mechanics???)))
I would have to assume that you took the car to a NON- honda specialized shop NOR the dealer ,, had you taken it there , they both should have known about the bulletin ,,,,,,,
what did the mechanic actually do to clean it out ?did they remove the intake manifold ??
how many miles on your car ?? Honda extended the warranty on this bulletin up to 8 years and 80,000 miles
buletin # 99-085 and even if out of warranty they might do it as a GOODWILL considatation, talk to the honda dealer manager and see what they say..or call Honda customer service 800-999-1009..
the egr pipe installation kit ( T/N 07ZAD-P8AA000) comes with an egr pipe installation tool ( t/n o7zad-p8aa100 ) and the drill bit t/n 07zah-p8aa100..
the drill bit size is 8 mm ..,,,
If you remove the intake manifold and clean the egr ports really good , you really do not have to drill it out and install the pipe . it is going to take a long time again before the port will clog up ,,( just a thought) ,, I have to do it for our customers but since it is your own car , you do not have to ,, it is up to you , just got to make sure to clean everything real good

Old 03-18-2007, 02:16 PM
baer77
Unregistered

I have considered taking it back to him and I may do that. But after doing tons of research I believe that these holes may need to be drilled larger so that little pipe will fit down in it properly. According to the directions, there's quite a bit of work there and if he charged $300 just to clean it out (I think he sprayed carb cleaner down in it) I don't want to imagine what it will cost to do this!
I think my fiance is going to try to do the job if he can figure out what size drill bit to use.
And you are right, I didn't take it to Honda. This mechanic was supposedly going to give me a "deal", as he is a client of my fiance's, but oh well.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:37 PM

if you read up my reply ,i put in the drill bit size .......8 mm ...
I still would try the Honda dealer ,, like i said they might do it AND NO CHARGE ,,it is worth a phone call or two

Old 03-24-2007, 10:20 PM

Anybody considered making a blocker plate for the EGR? I'm quite sure un-plugging it will set off a CEL, but exhaust gases into the intake isn't a good thing.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Baer77, you need to take it back to the dealer and be tough with him in that after spending that money you need to have this problem taken care of and that their lip service is just not going to cut it anymore..enougf said..right Desert?

WheelBrokerAng [sm=pimp.gif]by the way I dont smoke!

Old 03-28-2007, 01:57 AM

ORIGINAL: WheelBrokerAng

Baer77, you need to take it back to the dealer and be tough with him in that after spending that money you need to have this problem taken care of and that their lip service is just not going to cut it anymore..enougf said..right Desert?

WheelBrokerAng [sm=pimp.gif] by the way I dont smoke!
if i spent 300 dollars for a problem and shop DID NOT fix it,, I would definately take it back and ask them to fix it properly OR demand my money back

Oh and Wheel .. glad to hear that you don't smoke . otherwise i was going to ask you to please go to a different room