Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Header or Camshaft??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:02 PM

If anything, I'd think you'd be running lean - but every engine and ECU is different.
Right now you're intake system is pretty open - no air box - and you're injecting more air into the engine. You are putting more gas in as well, and some vapors you'll smell. Engine light on?
You may need to check the ECU mapping, since you're now operating at or towards the end of the curve/map due to added air - when driving at full speed. An exhaust gas analyzer or an air/fuel ratio meter hooked to the O2 sensor will tell if you run rich, and that will require some remapping of the ECU.
You smell gas at the tail pipe, or engine bay? You can also pull a s.plug and see if is smoked, wet, etc. Did not see any mention on engine light being on, however it may come on due to these intake changes.
If the plugs are clean and brownish you're more than likely ok. Only check after driving a while, then let the engine cool down and pull a plug.
Best test again is an exhaust gas reading.
However, if you confirm running rich, you need to address it quick. Not good for the engine and cat.
Do you notice anything different in the way the car runs - like loss of power at high speed, slow acceleration, etc??

Old 04-17-2009, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by draser
If anything, I'd think you'd be running lean - but every engine and ECU is different.
Right now you're intake system is pretty open - no air box - and you're injecting more air into the engine. You are putting more gas in as well, and some vapors you'll smell. Engine light on?
You may need to check the ECU mapping, since you're now operating at or towards the end of the curve/map due to added air - when driving at full speed. An exhaust gas analyzer or an air/fuel ratio meter hooked to the O2 sensor will tell if you run rich, and that will require some remapping of the ECU.
You smell gas at the tail pipe, or engine bay? You can also pull a s.plug and see if is smoked, wet, etc. Did not see any mention on engine light being on, however it may come on due to these intake changes.
If the plugs are clean and brownish you're more than likely ok. Only check after driving a while, then let the engine cool down and pull a plug.
Best test again is an exhaust gas reading.
However, if you confirm running rich, you need to address it quick. Not good for the engine and cat.
Do you notice anything different in the way the car runs - like loss of power at high speed, slow acceleration, etc??
alright well you may be right....but i have a stock motor....f23a1. yes u smell exhaust pretty strong..not sure if its gas that i smell but there is some kind of fumes. doesnt smell like pure gas and also doesnt smell like pure exxhaust....so mixture of the two? im not sure and yes engine light is on but from what i hear its because of knock sensor needing replacing...but its been need to be replaced for about a year now...yeah i know...people quote me a price of 400+ just to replace it...so yes check engine light is on and fumes are pretty strong...the garage can be all the way open with tailpipe facing out and still smell the fumes within 3 secs...and operating at the end of the curve wat do mean by that?..and yea ill need to get that checked to se if i am running rich or lean...and ill try the spark plug thing in the morning...

Old 04-17-2009, 11:16 PM

and no no difference in the way the car drives....except the fact that i changed the SRI to a CAI and now it seems like it accelerates quicker...louder idle and sounds like more air is coming out of the tail pipe at idle..

Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AccordLXMaster
... and yes engine light is on but from what i hear its because of knock sensor needing replacing...but its been need to be replaced for about a year now...yeah i know...people quote me a price of 400+ just to replace it...
What error code? If it's really the knock sensor, do you want to replace it yourself?

Old 04-24-2009, 04:44 PM

like i said..im takin Auto Technician school and found out that really knock sensors rarely go bad...theres no actual way a machine can tell you exactly whats wrong with a car....jus gotta know how to diagnose it...its def not the knock sensor.....check engine light deals with emissions so it could possibly mean that it jus needs to be cleaned or the o2 sensor or a number of things...

Old 04-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Sure, knock sensors can go bad if you hit them with a wrench or you unplug their wires. Problem is, you have a check-engine light & you don't seem to want to read the error code.

Check-engine light just means that your ECM has stored some kind of error code. There's a few hundred things that can cause it, so plug in a scanner & read the code. That narrows it down to the system or function that's not working right.

THEN you start diagnosing.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:19 AM

like i said..im takin Auto Technician school
wow this guy must be a pro. the only weird thing is everything he posts sounds like a bunch of b.s.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by jcocker03
wow this guy must be a pro. the only weird thing is everything he posts sounds like a bunch of b.s.
sounds like a bunch of B.S. huh?? well if you knew what you were talking about everything i post is actually possible...ECU management...bore n stroke...camshaft upgrades...learn about those then you can come and criticize me on what im talkin about..

Old 05-06-2009, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Sure, knock sensors can go bad if you hit them with a wrench or you unplug their wires. Problem is, you have a check-engine light & you don't seem to want to read the error code.

Check-engine light just means that your ECM has stored some kind of error code. There's a few hundred things that can cause it, so plug in a scanner & read the code. That narrows it down to the system or function that's not working right.

THEN you start diagnosing.
alright ill check it...

Old 05-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Smile

yeah its all possible. i was just referring to the fact that you try to pretend that you know so much about your car and how to build it, but you really have no experiance in the matter. everything you post gives it away. i would ask you what the most extensive repair/mod is that you have done yourself but you'll probly just make something up anyways.

Quick Reply: Header or Camshaft??