Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Header Gasket ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:04 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default Header Gasket ?

Alright guys. My OBX header gasket went bad and I need a new one asap as its throwing a check engine light and my mpg is horrible.

Can I just use an OEM gasket? Will it be thick enough and such?
I want to get the $20 gasket at Autozone but the 11 dollar one looks more like the one my headers came with.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Default RE: Header Gasket ?

if all the bolt holes lined up properly then a stock header gasket should be fine, I'd just check to make sure that it isn't overlapping the exhaust ports at all (on the block) and that's what I would go with....

Old 02-07-2007, 12:38 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Okay well that makes it more comforting. Advance Auto and Autozone didnt have any of the best gaskets left so we went with the one that looks like it came w/ the headers. It looks like it should fit. We'll be installing it 2morrow. Ill let you know how it goes!

Oh, one last thing. Should the check engine light go off after awhile once the new gasket is put on, or do we need to get it reset?

Thanks

Old 02-07-2007, 03:46 PM

even if it goes off it will still have the code stored, after you replace the gasket I'd probably just pull the negative terminal off while you're doing the repair...

Old 02-07-2007, 05:36 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Alright. Well I replaced the gasket with a Felmar one and the sound is alittle more quiet. I started it w/ the new gasket on and realized there is another leak where the two pieces of the headers meet. So, that will be fixed this weekend! Ill just buy a sheet of gasket and cut it out! Thanks for your help guys, ill let youknow how it goes!

Old 02-07-2007, 06:18 PM

Man just to let u know... i know how u feel... my gasket blew out only 2 days after i installed my OBX headers on my 97 2 door... and word of advice... the little plug on the top of the collector... get it tack welded because mine rattled loose and caused a HUGE leak... In fact i beleive ill be doing the same thing as u today (cutting out my own gasket) and maybe even double it up! Let me know if ur check engine light went off after u fixed the leak... mines doin the same thing... good luck!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:52 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Sorry to hear your having the same problem! I will have to check that plug too, I forgot about that. I just bought some collector gaskets from Autozone, the premium Mr. Gasket ones so hopefully they will fit n' such. Once I get it replaced this weekend im having them reset the check engine light and see what happens. Oh, and they also have these metal gaskets that will never leaka nd are reusable for about $20.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:04 PM

buy dc sports headers. .no problem with those. .at least not for a great while

Old 02-07-2007, 10:20 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Yeah, but the OBX are still cheaper even after buying new gaskets. The headers themselves are great its just the gaskets. No biggie.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:49 AM

After I installed my OBX header I did have the plug come out and suddenly things got very loud! I have had a little problem with the head pipe to cat connection but nothing serious and nothing that can't be fixed. My exhuast has been replaced before I bought the car and there had always been a little rattle at certain speeds or rpms, header helped amplify it a little but i am still very pleased and I have no regrets about OBX quality or performance.

Quick Reply: Header Gasket ?