Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Header Gasket ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:14 AM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered
Default RE: Header Gasket ?

I was planning on using the Liquid Wrench, because I remember you strongly advised that a while back. So I will get some better gaskets before I do the install, and check every day for the first week or so to make sure they stay tight. And I already have a Denso OEM oxygen sensor just waiting for me to scrounge up the cash for this little adventure lol. I just really want to wait til I get the cat back, so I can do it all at once.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:23 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Sounds like you are all ready! I am going to be checking all my bolts about every two weeks after I make sure these are going to stay tight.

If you can't wait, you should be able to do the headers w/o removing the rest of the exhaust. I didnt remove the old manifold so I am not for sure, but when we replaced the gaskets we only had to undo the bolts for the manifold and flange to slip the manifold gasket on. And for the most recent gasket, I was able to take out the second half of the headers w/o removing or loosening anything else.

While you are under there, check to make sure you dont have any broken rubber mounts for your exhaust. And getting the nuts off from the cat will take awhile!

Also, my theory is that because the OBX headers dont have the stainless steel felx section it makes the exhaust section more rigid than normal and that is why the bolts tend to loosen up quickly. I also noticed that one of the rubber hangers that I replaced when I put my new exhaust on is torn, so im suspecting that it broke that b/c of the lack of flex.

And with my exhaust/headers when I put it in reverse it makes this grunting/grinding noise because the midsection (right about where the rubber exhaust hanger broke) is barely scraping the sheet metel shield underneath the car.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:27 AM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

I just want to wait so I can do it all at once, it will be easier I think. Plus the added power will all be there at once, so it will seem really fast lol. Not to mention the sound lol. But yeah, I will check those hangers too, beforehand. Good call.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:39 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Yeah! I know what you mean power wise! It was def. nice w/ the addition of the two! Smells horrible though for the first few miles! haha Jeesh, I keep forgetting things.

But if you want toyur headers to look good, make sure you clean them off with a chrome or something like it cleaner. If you leave your fingerprints on there and start the car it will burn them into the headers and you wont be able to remove them.

Sound wise, I didnt really notice any b/c the intake over powers everything esle.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:33 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

To Poser and Slusher, I took a couple pics of the flange where the gasket went bad. Sorry there arent more/better ones but I had to take quite a few of the snowstorm! You can see the Red Silicone that got squished out and in the other, you can tell (sorry its not a better pic) how much the o2 sensor is going to be stretched when you get your headers. Hope this helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/1B8F9E3A71914466A40E192F4A6261FA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/E29CD8BF733C4942BCBE7B8CAB244CFD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-15-2007, 01:17 AM

thanks man, appreciate your help and experience!

Old 02-15-2007, 01:57 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

No problem! Always glad to help