Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Header Gasket ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:58 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Header Gasket ?

Well it seems as if the gasket problem isnt a rarity at all.

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144459

I am just going to get the Permatex High Temp Form A Gasket 1372 sealant and use that with the gasket thats already on it. I have heard of people using that before and having zero leaks. The gaskets I bought wont fit.

Has anyone else used this product, or another selant type gel for sealing things?

Old 02-08-2007, 03:19 AM

Hey man i went and bought a sheet of the paper material gasket and doubled it up (cut it out myself) and with the 2 gaskets where the 2 sections of the header meet... it leaks nothing at all... there was a horrible smell at first from the excess paper from inside burning off... but other then that it worked great... i reset my ECU and still engine light wont go off pretty upset about that im goin to have autozone pull the codes tommorow... If the single gasket doesnt give a permenant fix for u ad one more and see what happends...

Old 02-08-2007, 09:29 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Paper gasket eh? Maybe its not thick enough. I am just going to use the sealant stuff.
And please update me on how it goes after you get the codes! I hope I dont have same problem.
Here are the codes my light is sending me:

PO170
Fuel (something) Bank 1
PO171
System Lean

And if you didnt already know, the port to get your codes is behind your ashtray. Just pull it out.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:43 AM

ya when i put the header on i replaced the upstream O2 sensor... so i went to autozone got my codes read and now the downstream is messed up... guy said it was probly because too much air is flowing and its running too lean... he said only way to fix it is buy the bypass for the O2 sensor that tricks the ecu into thinkin the cars running right... i forget what he called it maybe someone else here knows what its called... but ya the paper gasket was a little thin thats y i doubled it up... been 2 days now and no leaks... the cheap metal gasket that came with the header didnt last a day...

Old 02-09-2007, 06:12 PM

hey man did you get it all fixed.. let me know.. i finally got my new header installed.. also got my high flo cat installed and all my resonators cut out.. you should hear it now..........!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2007, 09:04 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I bought some high temp red rtv and ordered some thick gasket so I can cut out my own. It was $10 for a 10x10 of gasket so i may just use a combination of the two. I couldnt find the form a gasket anywhere thats for high temps. ill let you know.

I havent had any check engine lights until now. I also replaced my o2 sensor in the manifold when I got them installed.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:38 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

FINALLY! The problem has been solved, and hopefully will continue to work flawlessly. I made the gasket with a sheet of 10x10 Mr. Gasket gasket which was a pain and wasnt a pretty eye sight. Then the High Temp red RTV silicone. I let it sit over night, drove it to school, back, and then jacked it up, retightened the bolts of the flange which were already loose, then went to Autozone to get the light reset and it hasnt turned back on! Yay! I also bought STP's complete fual system cleaner $5.99 to get rid of all that extra gunk b/c it was pouring so much fuel in.

If you guys have any problems like this, let me know and ill be glad to help!

Old 02-12-2007, 11:46 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

I dont suppose you took any pictures, did ya? I think when I get my OBX header, Im just going to do some preventative work, and make my own gasket from the start. Or maybe get one of those high speed copper thingys, or whatever metal they are made out of.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:54 PM

Glad to hear that your situation is all set! And that I know what to do if mine goes

Old 02-13-2007, 12:07 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: poser_pilot6

I dont suppose you took any pictures, did ya? I think when I get my OBX header, Im just going to do some preventative work, and make my own gasket from the start. Or maybe get one of those high speed copper thingys, or whatever metal they are made out of.
Nope, I didnt. Sorry! Here are some things I would do though:

-Make sure you spray all the bolts/nuts you will be removing w/ WD40 or Liquid Wrench in as much advance as possible. I was spraying them 2 times a day 2 weeks prior to getting my headers. It will make it alot easier, trust me.

-When you get your headers, use a level and make sure all the flanges are level. Mine have warped a little.

-Next, don't use the gaskets that come with the headers. They are junk. At Autozone and Advance Auto parts they have 2 versions, a Felpro, about $11 (the one I used) and they have another one which is about $16 and that is metal with raised edges. I would have gotten that, but you have to wait 3 days b/c they were out of stock.

-For the actual flange gasket, look in this post, youll see a link, and there is a picture of a copper gasket that is the one you will need. Its about $10 from summit racing. I am not sure if they have different sizes, so check that first. Of course, OBX uses a gasket that local autopart stores dont carry!

-OH and here might have been my trouble. Make sure you keep retightening those bolts after they have a couple of warm up and cool down cycles.

-Lastly, when you guys get your headers installed, know that your current o2 sensor may be stuck in your manifold. Mine was, so I bought a Bosch one. Now heres the thing. The hole for the o2 sensor wasnt placed the best. You have to unbolt the holder for the connections of the two o2 sensor wires and it stretches to its MAX to reach the o2 sensor. So hopefully your OEM sensor has the same length wires and will reach.

Anything else?

Quick Reply: Header Gasket ?