Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Installing a Catalytic Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 02:21 AM
St3v3
Unregistered
Default Installing a Catalytic Converter?

I have a 1997 Accord SE...The check engine light recently came and a rattling noise has been coming from my catalytic converter so I'm assuming its going to need to be replaced. Before I try installing a new cat I wanted to see if this is something easy to install or should it be left to a professional. Thanks for any help.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:44 AM
Default RE: Installing a Catalytic Converter?

First take it to a professional shop to have it inspected, dont go to those shops that try to charge JUST TO INSPECT IT those are the robbing shops, take it to a shop that doesnt charge to inspect it and he will tell you whats wrong, mine rattles because the installer never bolted on my header bracket so it hits the car, im going to have it welded tomorrow, it can be anything on ur car, maybe just the oxygen sensor, but better safe than sorry.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 AM
Default RE: Installing a Catalytic Converter?

You don't have to take the car to a professional if you're comfortable with working on your car. You'll need to lift the car and take out the stock cat and inspect it. Since you hear rattling the honey comb inside is probably broken. Inspect it and make sure its broken before you buy another one; theyre quite expensive. Before you attempt to take out the bolts, spray them with wd-40 or some pb blaster and let them soak for about an hour or so if you need to. They are INCREDIBLY rust sometimes. Other than that just make sure you get new gaskets and torque the bolts to proper specs.