Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

The intake I have on my car...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:17 AM
Default The intake I have on my car...

Isn't name brand and I'm looking to buy a good/cheap name brand intake. I've done research and I've found that the lowest priced intakes are the AEM intakes. Would you guys recommend me buying one of those?

One more question, I've seen intakes that are short and then a super long intake, whats the difference besides obviously the length?

BTW I have a 1993 Accord Special Edition.

THANKS.

EDIT, sorry, but the muffler that I have on my car is damaged and I was wondering if thats bad for my car? Since the car is lowered it hits everytime I come into my parking lot and now it has to "cuts" on it, I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Default RE: The intake I have on my car...

Here's a post I just wrote but it should apply:

Welcome to the forum! From what I can see in the two pictures it looks like one is an SRI (Short Ram Intake) and one is a CAI (Cold Air Intake) the difference is major debate. Basically, they both replace your current intake system. the SRI intake places the filter inside the engine bay and the CAI places the intake (filter) outside of the engine bay, typically in front of one of your tires so it draws from behind the bumper. Both use resonating sound to increase HP, gains from a SRI are 4-8 HP, CAI 6-12 HP (on average). The problem is that a CAI can cause what's called Hydro lock, where the intake gets so full of water that it can't draw air so it sucks water into your pistons, well you can't compress water so when the engine tries it just screws up a LOT of stuff and can blow your rings. This is fairly rare occurance but it does happen especially in VERY wet climates or snowy climates. The general concensus seems to be that CAI are going to give you a bit more HP gain but a higher risk too. Your chances of hydro lock are slim but they are there. the SRI is going to add more HP too but without the risk. So if you want gains but want to be fairly safe go SRI. If you want optimal gains and don't mind taking that small risk then the CAI is the way to go.

Hope that helps!

Exhaust question, if it breaks a hole in your exhaust or your muffler then you'll not only fail emissions testing but it's going to sound bad, really bad... so if you don't get a hole you're probably fine but I'd try to find a way to prevent the rubbing, try coming in at an angle if possible...

Old 07-04-2006, 04:36 AM

THANKS ALOT! At least someone replied to my post, ha. Yeah, it isn't necessarily a hole, more like "cuts/scrapes/scratches", thanks again =)

Old 07-04-2006, 05:44 AM

Sir_nasty summed that up really well. Good solid info.

As far as recommending AEM, I certainly do. I definitely love mine and have had no problems with it though, I think any name brand would suffice. AEM, Injen, Fujita, K&N all would be fine. If you've got any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: 93Accord10thYear
Since the car is lowered it hits everytime I come into my parking lot and now it has to "cuts" on it, I'll post a pic when I get a chance.
you may want to get some stiffer shocks (if you already haven't) if your car is bottoming out. I know that helped for me.
Now if it is purely a ground clearence issue, than like sir_nasty said, coming in at an angle should help out.

I'm going to also recommend AEM (a V2 to be exact) since that is what I had on my car before the turbo and it never gave me any problems, even deep puddles of standing water (from some hurricanes). Just some extra power and an awesome WOT sound.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestiongs mbo & tom, I really appreciate it. But will the V2 fit on my 1993 Accord? I just looked it up on the AEM website and it only has it available for a 1994 Accord...

Is this true: http://www.knfilters.com/ads/linesave.aspx

That makes me want to buy a K&N intake/filter, ha.

One more question, I don't even know what brand my muffler is but I see that it has "bP" or something like that on the side of it, but I can't find any info on that over the internet. Have you guys ever heard of that "company/name"?

Old 07-04-2006, 08:43 PM

The filter they are advertising there is a replacement filter for the stock filter, so if your getting an SRI or CAI you won't need that type. The stock filters are the paper ones and they don't give much air flow. The K&N filters have the best flow, but let in the most dust particles (though that really doesn't matter I don't think). You'll have to oil the K&N filter so that it filters properly. I personally really like the new AEM dryflow since you don't have to oil it and my AEM SRI came with it, so I'm sure the V2 or whatever other you end up getting will come with one as well. You just need to clean it every so often.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: tom15425

The filter they are advertising there is a replacement filter for the stock filter, so if your getting an SRI or CAI you won't need that type. The stock filters are the paper ones and they don't give much air flow. The K&N filters have the best flow, but let in the most dust particles (though that really doesn't matter I don't think). You'll have to oil the K&N filter so that it filters properly. I personally really like the new AEM dryflow since you don't have to oil it and my AEM SRI came with it, so I'm sure the V2 or whatever other you end up getting will come with one as well. You just need to clean it every so often.
So that means this intake will fit on my 1993 Accord?

http://www.tirerack.com/intake/aem/v2_air_intake.jsp

Old 07-05-2006, 02:06 AM

If it doesn't have one made for the 93 then I can't say if it will or will not, sorry. I'm not sure on the different layouts for the different generation engine bays though I'm certain someone else will know.