Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Need a lil CAI advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:07 PM
kingpin
Unregistered
Default Need a lil CAI advice

On my old car I had a AEM CAIwhich I loved and made quite a difference from stock. I never had any problems with water getting in it.

Now I have a 92 Honda accord and it sits lower at the stock suspension height than my other car.

I want to clean up my engine bay and was thinking of getting a AEM CAI on this car. I am kinda leery thou because it sits so low already.

Anybody have any input or advice about water getting in it?

BTW I am not really going for performance so much but to make some room under the hood.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 PM
Default RE: Need a lil CAI advice

if you live in a wet area, then just make sure to get a bypass valve for your intake and you will be protected from hydrolock. and the only way you are gonna get hydrolock is if your intake is completely submerged in water.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

right... also, unless you have a v6 (nothing you've said or in your sig implies anything however) you should look into an eBay CAI... it's just a pipe really with a filter.. just get an ebay pipe and a K&N or other performance filter..

see this: http://hondaaccord.wikidot.com/intake-info

Old 02-01-2008, 11:03 AM

since you're not worried about gains just order a SRI off ebay, the filter will take up a little extra room in the engine bay vs. a CAI however you don't have to worry about water.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:21 PM
kingpin
Unregistered

Yea I want to take the filter box out the picture, or at least slim it down some. That's why I don't want a SRI. I want to do some plexi work there over the intake pipe. I will take a look at some eBay pipes. Thanks for the tips

Old 02-01-2008, 06:26 PM

even with an sri you won't need the box just the filter will be in there, if you need more room than that then get the bomz cai with an aem bypass valve.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:45 PM

I would NOT suggest eBay intakes if you can afford something better. Reason being is that an intake such as an AEM will be made to fit, require no rigging of any sort, andshouldsupply you with everything you need to convert from an OEM to an aftermarket system. Ive had several experiences with both "eBay intakes" and AEM brand intakes. Both can/will work, but a good brand will be made the best and will be less, if any hassle, trust me. So if you can spare the coin, get somethin decent. Something used maybe with a new filter would be a cheaper alternative. And I wouldn't suggest cheap filters either as they often have a metal mesh on them that will rust, atleast in my experience. K&N and AEM Dryflows are nice. Hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:49 PM

And if the space taken by a bypass is a concern, Ididnt have one on my AEM V2 for 2 years and had no problems. I stayed out of puddles for the most part on the filter side of the car.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Don't worry about hydrolock...you would need to drive in at least 3 feet of water...come to a complete stop...wait for a few minutes...then drive off.

I trust you are not that ignorant in your car handling skills.